Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Pride & Joy Confusion?

38 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

OK...here is a picture of the bend...sorry I did it freehand in Paint Shop Pro since I couldn't figure it out in Guitar Pro

Now I know it's a bend and release 1/2 step but I wasn't sure what the verticle arrow and the smaller 2 meant (the TWO is smaller in the tab)? I know the (2) is a ghost note for the release of the bend.

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It contains two bends in quick succesion:

1) A 'semi-tone' bend that does NOT return.
2) Another semi-tone band that returns back.

If you'd change the bends in slides it look like this:
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2/3-2/32-----------|
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Arjen but I am still confused...Is the first bend a "prebend" for the second bend or do I start an "new" bend and pick the string again? If it is the latter then I am kind of already doing that...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, you're almost doing what you need to do: the only thing that is wrong is that you bring the first bend down again. You should bend the note up, bring it down *without having it sound* do the bend again and bring it down *while it sounds*. Just listen to the recording and you'll hear what I mean. Also note that a bend at the 2nd fret needs to move a LOT less then a bend higher up the neck. The tiniest bit should be enough to get a semi-tone bend.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thx fro the help Arjen...I'll give it a try today and see how it goes. Like I mentioned before this is the toughest song I have tried to date. The difference is that I don't intend on putting this one aside for an easier song like I have done in the past. As a matter of fact I intend on RESTARTING some of the song I put aside before. Once I get my recording equipment I may even try vocals but I probably should supply ear plugs to all who listen. I don't think reverb will help this voice!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I decided to just try the shuffle part and add my drum machine to work onm the timing. The tab book said it is 122bpm so that's what I set my drum machine to. This is the first (of probably MANY) attempts at getting this right!

On a side note...this is my FIRST recording with my new mixer to my laptop 8) ! I am still playing with the settings. I just realized that I had too much bass :oops: ...it sounded a bit higher when I was playing it live. Sorry :oops: !!

Pride & Joy Shuffle

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

That was the best yet, I think you are starting to get it. Good walking bass, the upstrokes were clean, muting sounded good. I heard you speed up and slow down twice, but you're starting to really get it. I didn't hear the bend, but I do recognize the phrase you are trying to play; like you said, it is altered. Maybe try the full walking bassline soon. :wink:

Good work!

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Matt. All I did was the shuffle part so the bend isn't part of that (it's just before it). I have been practicing the full walking bass line but I am not ready to record it yet. I need a bit more practice on that then I will assemble the pieces I know and go from there. My headphones should **hopefully** be here today so I can monitor the sound a bit better.

Trying to learn a new song and set up a new recording system can be a bit challenging. I probably should work the kinks out of the recordings with a song I know a bit better...but then I never do things the easy way! :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3