Clear all

Problem waiting to happen?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I had my Taylor Baby sent back to have the laquer redressed on the edge of the fretboard recently. As the courier got the guitar out of the van (in it's softcase which in turn was in a cardboard close-fitting box), he dropped it so it fell back on the concrete (quite hard :shock: ).
Anyhow, I have carefully inspected it now at home and the only defect I can find is what appears to be hairline cracks on the side the guitar in one corner. They don't really travel anywhere and there's only a few. They're not very visible unless you hold it up to the light (the finish is satin on a flame maple laminate side so not ideal for spotting things!) and you can just make out them, but they are quite easy to feel.
I am in two minds about this really. It still plays fine, but I am concerned about keeping it if these cracks could grow in time, maybe weakening the guitar so that it possibly could sustain damage more easily in future. I'm fairly sure that they
aren't just defects that are considered "normal" as the satin finish shows them up, so they can presumably only have been caused after the laquer had been applied.
Do you think I should keep the guitar and hope it's not a problem, or demand a replacement which the courier can pay for? :?:

Cheers.

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

They bashed your guitar off the concrete ... mak'em pay!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

The cracks can get worse over time. Changes in humidity can cause the cracks to spread. You witnessed him drop the guitar? Is there any documentation that states he dropped it? If you've already taken possesion of the guitar it may be too late.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

They bashed your guitar off the concrete ... mak'em pay!

Agreed! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

OK guys, I'll send it off ASAP. I just needed a little nudge. :D British stiff-upper lip and all that. :wink: :lol:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Don't you need my address first?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote