Clear all

problem with ordering new guitar

43 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

im getting a new guitar soon and i kinda have a problem.

The guitar I want is not carried on musicians friend or any GC store I've went to. Ive asked the people there and they say they definelty don't have it in stock/dont carry it.

However, online at music123.com they do have it available.

My problem is that I could simply order it online but I really want to try it out the first as this is a more expensive purchase (total price about $550)
The pople at GC told me that if there was a certain modle I wanted, they could try to order a shipment. Now that I think about it, I don't thnk theyd order a truckload of guitars jsut for 1 person to try them out and weed out the bad ones. If they do order it, Im assuming they would give me first priority. Im not to sure about this because all of GC guitars are bought "on the floor" and I really want mine brand new, with the new plastic smell and all. My second choice would be to order guitars from music123.com until I find a desireable one.

what do you think the bet solution would be?

(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

black, if you order it are you obligated? if so, iwould search shops until i find one, you don't wanna have to pay for a lemon. :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

the moment you take the plastic off it isn't new anymore. Newness lasts for a fraction of a second.

Don't get so hung up on it. I only own one guitar I got brand new. It doesn't have the character of the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i undertsand that, but when i got my guitar, i have no idea how long it couldve been sitting on the floor, i got it in jan 04, and the serial number says its amde in 2003 so it couldve been played by loads of epople every day for a couple of years, IMO this ruins the "new" quality

thats what i dislike about GC, the guitars you buy are off the floor models, Id prfer a new guitar from the box anytime. You dont know how other people treated that guitar before you

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I understand that matters to you. It just doesn't matter to me.

If one person played it and it got a ding, or 100,000 people played it and it still had just that one ding, it's all the same to me.

It's not like your guitar gets slutty....

If the guitar speaks to you, if it makes you want to play, if the tone, the feel, the playability, the mojo is right, then that is the guitar. Who held it before me doesn't matter.

Just my 2 cents.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i see your point of view. its jsut that I dont really care about whatever dings it gets, id would like them to be from, like, it would be my fault.

and when youre buying a new guitar, youd kinda expect it to be in stock condition, not degraded from how it was shipped

so, i would like to get back to the topic question. now thats the real problem

(nick, sorry if it sounds kinda rude, but i think its the nicest way to say it, thanks for your opinions, i need insight on my problem though)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have to agree with Nick.

My best guitars are all pre-owned instruments.

I kind of feel about buying a new guitar the way I feel about buying a new car . .. why should I be the sucker who takes the depreciation?!

But beyond the fiscal issues, there's a real accoustical reason as well -- wood changes as it ages, and you really can't tell what a guitar will really sound and feel like for the majority of it's life until it's a few years old. Sure most of hte changes are subtle, but anyone who's been around guitars a while knows you can get two versions of the very same model and one sounds lifeless and the other vibrant . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I really want mine brand new, with the new plastic smell and all.

My gosh! Just find one that you like and buy it... Don't get all ansy about "new plastic" this and that. If you want that feeling, get a cheaper guitar.. Guitars are meant for playing, not for smelling... :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I understand what you are getting at but, you live in New York right. I live in the North East as well and can say, I haven't had a problem finding anything I was looking for. Of course there are exceptions but, far and few in-between.

What axe are you interested in that you can't find, to try out for yourself? How far have you gone to look for it? How many places have you called?

For the record, New England is a major “prototype/experimental” area. We are a small and over populated community and are prone to experiments/tests. This means, we ARE a test market and many things are available to us. In some cases, not for a long time period but, there maybe some that are still lurking around.

Again, what axe is out there that you can't find locally. Maybe someone can help you.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

First, I agree that you should try out a guitar before you buy it.

Which to me, makes buying from on-line just a total non-issue.

Second, for a purchase as important as a mid-priced guitar, I'd be willing to spend a relative percentage of the purchase price to get a chance to play the guitar before I bought it. 20% wouldn't be out of line.

Since I have a honda with good gas milage, and am willing to sleep in a $35 hotel room, that means I can drive about 500 miles to see the guitar I am interested in purchasing.

Even from the middle of nowhere, that tends to be more than far enough to get me to a dealer.

For a $2k or more guitar, it puts me on a plane.

Frankly, I don't understand your problem.

If you're purchasing something you expect to be with you for years, looking for the cheapest way to do it rather than the best way to do it doesn't make sense to me.

You want to have several guitars of the same model to choose from. Ideally you want to have several shops to choose from. You want to be able to play the things before you buy them.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I really want mine brand new, with the new plastic smell and all.

My gosh! Just find one that you like and buy it... Don't get all ansy about "new plastic" this and that. If you want that feeling, get a cheaper guitar.. Guitars are meant for playing, not for smelling... :roll:

quite an overreaction, i was jsut saying that for exaggeration yoyo

i tried looking in google before and ill try it again, i dont have access to a car, so im limited to where i can go by subway/bus. Im trying to figure out, by what measn can I test out the guitar before i buy it. Using the internet method, i would simpy be ordering guitar, and shipping it for a new one, if i dont like i (i mean jsut the tone of it, 2 same mdoels can sound totally different) but that would be extremely inpractical and unliekly

As for GC, the emplyee said he could order a shipment, but what are the chances of those (btw tracker, its the epiphone g400 custom) I sued the exmaple of GC ordering a trukload for 1 person, just to simulate the situation.

Im just trying to find out if i should ask the GC guy if he could follow up on what he told me. Even if im not picking this guitar to last my life, if your spending the same amount, youd generally want a guitar that has a decent tone

Ill search again for music stores, in NYC i have access to 1 GC and 2 samash stores( and neither of them carry the guitar). A couple of local stores have a bad selection, and arent really that good

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

hmmm... it seems that since you want it brand new, so the only way to get it is online, because if guitarcenter buys one or two, I think they'll probably put them out; they're not gonna lose a potential sale just so you might buy something, it aint gonna happen, and belive me, people go into guitarcenter and play everything, even if they dont paticulary like it... BTW what guitar is it?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

its an epiphone g400 custom selling for $499.99

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

That should be fairly easy to find in a NYC store since its an Epiphone, but what do I know? I live in Texas.... :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I gotta say "Get over it!' So your guitar isn't a virgin anymore that's why I personally like GC They give you a chance to play a $3000 guitar no questions asked and if it doesn't sell at that price they'll knock it down quite a bit. Sure it's been played by every Tom, Nick and Harry but who gives a crap!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3