Notifications
Clear all

problem with ordering new guitar

43 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

and when it comes to cosmetic damage, I really don't care - as long as the sound isn't affected!!!!

Exactly!!! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

teleplayer

i tried out a few different places. theres a GC on W 14th, another GC in queens, and another in NJ. Ive also been to the 48th st samash and the one on flatbush. It's surprised me how they all have alot of epi models but no one has the g400 custom. I dont know if youve gone to manny's music, but it's a really nice place. Almsot all the walls on the first floor is taken up with framed, signed pictures of hundreds of artists, who i assume shopped there. It's really cool. I'll try calling up some stores and see if they carry the guitar.

Does anyone know why alot of stores don't carry this guitar? Many stores carry alot of epi's lineup, exact for the one I want

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Last time I was 2 manny's was about 25 yrs ago

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Last time I was 2 manny's was about 25 yrs ago
What happened, they tell you that you could not come back :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I dont know if its the stores in the area, but I do not like going to chain stores in manhattan. In GC, after trying out stuff for 30min, a guy comes up to me and asks me to leave because he said I was playing too much and " we still need to sell the guitars you are playing now" This got me real mad. Do stores have a right to do this? I think this situation also shows that the guy was trying to preserve the floor models, so they can still look "new" enough to be sold

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I can actually relate to Blackzerogsh. I have bought new and used guitars. But I really prefer to be the first person to ever play my guitar. And I will buy new if I have the money.

At the same time, you can get some real deals used. I am going out to look at a Les Paul Studio tomorrow that a friend of Lane my lead guitarist is selling. It is a 1998, but Lane said it is in almost perfect condition. I can get it for far less than 1/2 of what they cost new. So if it has a few pick scratches or even a little belt buckle rash and that's it, I'm gonna buy it.

But that's changing the subject.

I would say to order one from Music 123. I have ordered from them many times. The one and only problem I've ever had is something not being in stock at present and having to wait up to 2 months to get an item. That has happened once or twice. But everything was packed carefully and I've never had to send back anything for a quality issue.

Now when you get the guitar you have to be careful and not mark it up yourself. And don't rip the packing apart carelessly also. They are very specific that you have to return it in the condition you received it. I would go online and read the return policy very carefully.

Now I have to ask, why would you return it if comes in perfect condition?

This leads me to believe you have never played one of these guitars before. Otherwise you would already know if you like the playability and tone. As for things like action, intonation, and relief.... you can always expect these things to need adjustment. That is not a reason to return a guitar. It is easy to perform this work yourself, but you can always pay a local shop maybe $50 to set it up if need be.

So I am guessing you are primarily buying this guitar because you like the looks. That's fine.

The guitar will probably come in perfect condition but need a minor setup.

But if you don't like the tone or playability then you should forget about looks and just try out different guitars at shops until you find the tone.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

looks is something that influences my decision to purchase a guitar, but if I order one from music 123, and it comes in perfect condition, then i see no reason to return it. As I said before in my story, the only reason I returned something online because it had an unrepairable problem, if all the pickguard needed was a little time with a screwdriver, it would be fine and I would've kept it.

I'm also talking about how two of the same models of guitars can sound totally different. Which brings in the aspect of trying out something before you buy it.

On buying used guitars, Im all for it, if its a sweet deal. I jsut have a problem with buying somthing advertised as new, when it really isn't, which would be the GC floor models. Then again, if I pick up a really, really great guitar at GC and its a floor model, there would be no trouble in buying it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Blackzerogsh

If I were you I would call Music 123 and order on the telephone instead of using your computer. You will get a salesperson. I have spoken to their salespeople before and found them to be very courteous and helpful. I would make it clear to the salesperson that you expect a guitar in perfect condition that has never been touched, returned, or floor model. Tell them you will return it if you find that to be the case.

Salespersons make a living from commission. I promise you that person will make sure you get a good guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I was in gc talking to a guy who just bought a 12-string Martin from Music 123, and he loved the guitar. He has also bought other guitars from them and returned them until he got what he wanted. He was saying, don't be afraid to send it back, they never refused to exchange one.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i want to thank gene for confirming that, and wes for the great tip. Those seem the best way to guy. From what I'm hearing music123 is alot better than MF. From the way they treated me, I really don't ever want to shop there again

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

if I pick up a really, really great guitar at GC and its a floor model, there would be no trouble in buying it.

Aha!! We've changed his head!!!! :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

It isn't hard to agree with everyone on this thread since everyone has a good point and presents it intelligently. Which is why I LOVE this site.

I've bought a floor model from GC as well as the NIB (which was played to make sure it was worthy).

Next point.. and maybe this should be a new thread..

Price fixing in the music gear industry.

First of all let me say that if you buy from Muscian's Friend you are buying from GC as they own the site. So it is no surprise to see that the prices are the same online or in store.

But I have been shopping around for an amp. In particular the Vox Valvetronic AD30VT

Here is a list of sites I've been on and the prices offered.

MusiciansFriend $239
Music123 $239
Zzounds $239
Instrument Pro $239
Sweetwater $239
SamedayMusic $239
American Musical Supply $239
Elderly $239
North Coast Music $279 (obviously out of the loop)
Sam Ash $239
8th Street $239
Woodwind & Brasswind $239
Bananas $239

Anyone recognize a pattern ? :cry:

Doesn't this smell of price fixing. This isn't an isolated issue. Do you're own testing.

Secondly most of the websites look hauntingly like one another. Are we all buying from the same 2 or 3 companies.

Is the same guy answering the phone "Musican's friend how can I help you?" or "Music123 how can I help you?" depending on what line lights up?

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Where is the competition?

Any thoughts.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Im not sure about the guy who picks up the phone, but about the prices...
Dont you always see when the stores advertise, we will beat the lowest price you see? Well let's say one store had a low price, everyone lowered theirs to match that store. After they hit that porice, if anyone would go any lower, then they wouldn't make much money. Thats why the prices are at one spot. Let's say something was $200, and eveyrone matched it. Let's say that MF lowered it to $150, the whole point is that they wouldnt do that becuase by then theyd be losing alot per item sold, so the price stays at $200, ehich everyne matched.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3