Skip to content
Using Extension Spe...

Notifications
Clear all

Using Extension Speaker jack for headphones?

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, If I plug headphones into the extension speaker jack on my tube amp, nothing will get ruined right? Cause headphones always use line level, correct?

I know that sound will still come out of the main speaker, really making this useless, but i'm just experimenting. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will fry your headphones and possably your ears.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thats exactly why I asked, didn't want to go ruining anything, Thank you.

Now why would this happen? Do headphones not use line level?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

As I understand it, it has to do with matching the ohms in the speakers. If they don't match (meaning are less than), you will run into problems.

I'm sure someone else can explain better than me.

Edit, I was told by Fender that if I wanted to listen to my amp through my headphones (through my mixer) I had to take out the "power tubes". That was something I was not interested in doing.

I ended up buying a multieffects pedal, that way, I have effects and headphone out. And I don't even need the amp to listen to my effects through my headphones.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Most tube amps have speaker outputs ranging from 2 to 16 Ohms. "Low Impedance" headphones have 32Ohms, others go up to 300+Ohms - they will kill the output transformer of the amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You don't want to put the signal that's meant to push 1 (or more) large speakers into a little 1" headphone speaker. Many explosions and costly repairs.

---

Clarification of terms please help!

Instrument level = Smallest level, eg: straight from the guitar.
Line level = middle level, eg: coming out of a preamp
???? level = strongest level, eg. powering a speaker.

???? is generally called what? Speaker level? Output level?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Another thought would be getting and attenuator or dummyload that has a line out, headphone out or both. That will give you better control of your tone and allow you the benifit of further expanding of your signal chain.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Normal HiFi headphones are designed for Loudspeaker output voltage levels ( i.e. several volts) and not line output levels ( 1/10 of volts).

But if you crank up a 100-200 W amp to full you will probably blow the headphones as well as small loudspeakers.

I think that the extension speaker output is connected in parallell with the internal speaker(probably 8-16 ohm), wich means that a 4-16 ohm external speaker will lower the load impedans to approx. 4 ohms.
Connecting a 300 ohm ->1 kohm headphones (in parallell with internal speaker) will therefore have no or very little impact on the amps load impedans.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I know very little about the technical stuff here, but I do know that the user's manual for my amp is very clear that connecting the headphones to the speaker jack could result in damaging your ears/ hearing.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

On a tube amp, never use anything that does not match the specified output impedence. You can ruin the ouput stage on your amp (the most expensive part). It's pretty much junk if you do that. And dummy loads don't seem to be good for them either. They fry tubes.

If you let too much current flow through the output transformer by not having enough impedence it can ruin it through overheating very quickly. The wires in the coil will burn apart or melt together.

ReplyQuote