Skip to content
Trying to expand my...

Notifications
Clear all

Trying to expand myself musically with a new instrument.,...

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well guys, I'm not getting sick of guitar by a long shot, but I'm getting very interested in learning to play the drums...

I imagine being good would make me better at the other so I'm gonna start lookin for a set. If anyone has any tips on what to look for in a set and what kinds of things I should ask at the store it would be great!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Well, the market seems full of cheap drum kits these days, so since you are a beginner to drums I'd get myself a cheap, no-name kit to start.
Remember that the volume will be very high, and consider the place you will be practising in. Is it suitable? A newcomer to drums always plays loud at first, so dont kid anyone with the "I'll play quietly" line.... Quiet playing takes a few years!
Personally, I'd go for a set of 5 drums; one snare, one bass, one floor standing tom, two bass mounted toms. Check the fittings, can they stand pressure without moving? There's bound to be flexing and some movement, but do the drums retain their positions afterward? If not, it's probably too cheap!
Cymbals? Dont go mad. Start with one or two of an unknown make. Good cymbals will cost a fortune.
Check the hi-hat action, and that the hi-hat pair open and close accurately.
Check the bass padal. Is it adjustable for movement and tension?
Buy a suitable stool. Sitting incorrectly will ruin everything!!!

HTH
Feel free to ask anything.............

Gino.

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Gino's dead on that drums have gotten cheaper. I was a percussionist from a very young age, and back then pro gear ran about $1000. It still does, all these years later! (Cymbals have tripled in that time, though)

If you're interested in learning percussion simply for having another perspective on music, use drum pads instead of drums. Much quieter. The Remo ones, which have drum skins, have a better 'feel' than the rubber ones. A full set of Remos takes a little less space than a drum set, and you can probably find a used one for about the same price as new 'beginner' drums.

If you want to perform, an inexpensive set will get you started.

Get a teacher. Like guitar, self-taught drummers are everywhere. Like guitar, most of them aren't any good at it.

Oh, one more thing - grip. When I started learning percussion in the 60s, teachers taught the 'traditional' grip - the left hand faced up, with the stick laying across the index and middle fingers, thumb coming over the top. When you're really wailing away, every now and then I'd whack my left hand with the right hand stick - ouch!

Today most teachers use 'matched' grip - both hands curl all four fingers around the stick. Not only does that mean an easier move to mallet instruments if you decide to expand your percussion abilities, it also means that when you do whack your left hand on a crossover, you won't be hitting your knuckles :)

Ear protection is a must if you'll do rock drumming. The foam insert ones are what most pros I know use. I don't really agree that beginners can't play quietly - maybe because my teacher stressed dynamic control from the very beginning - but you'll often WANT to play loud for rock, and you'll probably be practicing in a very 'lively' space, like a bedroom or something.

I agree with Gino's setup, particularly for rock. If you're going to do jazz, you can get away with four (only one mounted tom).

Think through your practice space... drums have a pretty big footprint. Guitarists keep collecting gear, but only use one guitar/amp at a time... percussionists keep adding to the set - you might want room for more cymbals, a cowbell on a stand, etc.

If you're going to play out, think about transportation. You'll need a van or station wagon, although one pro I know uses a truck with a cover over the bed.

Oh yeah, and get a piece of carpeting to put under the drums. If you don't, they'll 'creep' like mad from the bass pedal.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've been playing drums for the past 4 or 5 years and one thing I gotta say is make sure you can keep good time! I've played with alot of drummers and the only good ones i've heard are the ones who can keep time; knowing fancy beats and amazing drum solo fills are great but if you slow down or speed up it won't sound good at all.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Hey Steve,
I suggest people read your post two or three times. At first, it seems so obvious, but wait!!!!!!!!! Not every clock tells the right time, and not every drummer keeps it.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the great input guys, I'm proud to say that today I picked up a TAMA swingstar set for $825. So far I love em! They came with all of the cymbals and a good throne too. The guy who sold em to me was really helpful, at first I was looking at one of the cheaper sets and he showed me all of the differences there was (like folding a cymbal in half on one of the lesser sets :D )

It's gonna be nice to have a good jam area in my house for me and my friends... now I just need a pa system and someone who can sing and I'll be set!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Tama eh? Very nice.
You spent some cash there, but on good gear. That cant be bad.

:) Just another word of advice;
Dont wear yourself out!! :o

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Like Gino said, don't wear yourself out....I'll add my two centsworth, DON'T NEGLECT THE GUITARS!!!!!!

But have fun.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've found it's allot of fun to play the guitar, hi-hat, and bass drum at the same time! But so far I love em! I've been really busy at work all last week so I havent had much time to play em but I've been goin untill I break a sweat most of the time :)

ReplyQuote