Clear all

Purchasing music / tabs

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've had it with the various tab sites, is there a "iTunes style" tab site where you can buy music? I'd be willing (happy) to pay for quality (correctly) transcribed music. I buy books but I sometimes want one or two songs from a particular book and nothing else... it would be nice to buy only what you want... it would also be nice to get tabs that didn't begin "Dude, here's the right way to play purple hayze... that other guy was all wrong, I am 100% accurate so here goes" :wink:

Thanks.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I cant guarantee it but I like Musicnotes.com. Everything so far has been pretty good.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I've used Musicnotes too. Very happy with it so far. They have a reasonable selection to choose from and it's expanding all the time.

The only down side is I have to use windows to download the sheetmusic. :twisted:

Apart from that I haven't come across anything better yet.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I'll say "ditto" on Musicnotes, and their Guitar Guru. Good stuff. I have to limit myself to a certain number of downloads per month, so as to not wear the raised numbers off the ol' debit card. :P
Guitar Pro is okay, but has many of the limitations you mentioned about "text tab" sites. You buy the viewer/player, and tabs are free. They have also run into the copyright legal wall, and at least one site that was all GP files has locked them down "temporarily."

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I forgot to mention the Guitar Guru. I've used it a couple of times and found it quite useful. I may be wrong here but I believe it's similar in a lot of respects to GuitarPort. Maybe someone who is more familiar with GP can shed some light on this.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Sheetmusicplus.com sells music by the song. They claim to have 30,000,000 songs. I've bought music from them and was pleased with the experience.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/enter.html?s=googlej&t=sheet+music&e=h&k=c01g1

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Sheetmusicplus.com sells music by the song. They claim to have 30,000,000 songs. I've bought music from them and was pleased with the experience.I've bought books from them, and been happy with their service, but didn't see anything on their site about individual songs. (And the blurb I saw on their main page said "387,000+ titles.")

A big difference with Musicnotes is that you can download and print individual song purchases, rather than waiting for a book to be shipped to you.

I don't know anything about Guitar Port, but I've used Guitar Pro 5 as well as Guitar Guru. I started out with GuitarVision™, which is like Guru in that it shows a virtual fretboard for lessons. Some of the songs are lower priced than some of the Musicnotes/Guru offerings, but there's no "hard copy" tab to use when you don't feel like sitting in front of the computer with your guitar. Some of the GuitarVision downloads seem "oversimplified," but it's still good for a beginner, and it's available for Windows® or Mac®. They also have about a dozen free lessons by Adam St. James available, stuff like "Basic Pentatonic Soloing" and more. The Player is free, individual songs are $4.95 and up. http://www2.guitarvision.com

Again, G. Pro is okay, but some of the tabs are definitely "the author's own work" and may not sound like any version you've heard of that song. :?

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

This one also allows the download of sheetmusic for individual songs and claim to have 20 000+ titles for a variety of instruments. Haven't tried it myself cos it requires windows ( :evil: ) but I may do soon.

http://www.musicroom.com/digital.html

Let us know how you get on. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! I'm going to try musicnotes. I'll post how it goes.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I thought that musicnotes was expensive. $5.00 for something that you print off yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I thought that musicnotes was expensive. $5.00 for something that you print off yourself.Yeah, but it's an instant download. No waiting for the book to arrive, or paying shipping costs. It does tend to empty the paper tray of my printer, though. Keeps the ink refill manufacturers happy, too. :roll:

The way I look at it is, if you're paying that much for it, they must be paying off those copyright fees, so the product must be (better be!) authentic. :wink:

Plus, I just love the MIDI sounds of the Musicnotes Player. :P

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Sheetmusicplus.com sells music by the song. They claim to have 30,000,000 songs. I've bought music from them and was pleased with the experience.I've bought books from them, and been happy with their service, but didn't see anything on their site about individual songs. (And the blurb I saw on their main page said "387,000+ titles.")

I've bought several individual songs from them, they where $3.95 each plus shipping. Did I put to many 0s in that number :?: :?

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I've bought several individual songs from them, they where $3.95 each plus shipping. Did I put to many 0s in that number :?: :?Yeah, I think you "bumped it up a couple of places." But if they did have 30 million titles, that'd be alright, too. Then they might have some of the ones I've been trying to find. :wink:

Another thing that bugs me about the "open to interpretation" free tab sites is when somebody says they'll add other parts to a tab, and two or more years later, there's still nothing. And how about when every tab site in the world has the same version of something, maybe with just a different title? ARGH! :evil:

"Look at the CD. It's No One To Run With, not Nowhere To Run." :roll:

ReplyQuote