Notifications
Clear all

Purple Haze

39 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member

My only advice is if you want to play a particular song, learn it in stages. First the chords & rythm section, then the main riffs, then the type of licks used & scales (it's more satisfying playing your own leads anyway...& this is as far as I get!) & then finally working out exactly what is played on the record. Don't forget, people want to hear YOU play, not a clone of some other guy. It's all usefull for stealing riffs, licks & learning scales but in the end just play it the way you want! :D

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
 Afo
(@afo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I need help..

I'm learning the beginning to purple haze, and i'm using this tab:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jimi_hendrix/purple_haze_tab.htm

my problem is when it gets to HERE

~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
E |-------------------------|----------------------------|-------------------------|------------------------|
B |-------------------------|----------------------------|-------------------------|------------------------|
G |-------------------------|------------------7---7--9--|-------0-----------------|------------------------|
D |--------5--7B----5h7-(7)-|-----5-------/9-------------|-------------------------|------------------------|
A |---5/7-------------------|---------5------------------|-------------------------|------------------------|
E |-------------------------|----------------------------|-------------15---------|------------------------|

i can't figure out how to make it sound, it sounds so DIFFERENT from the song... please help me... thanks

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Mate,

that sounds totally different to how I play it. Hang on a sec......

pm'd.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Also remember to tune down to Eb to play that tab...then it'll sound correct. I dislike tabs, but that one is correct.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Personally I love tabs if they are accurate ones A.K.A. professionally transcribed (or Power Tab that is "copied" from a professionally transcribed tab, and alot of them are. I use the midi playback feature to test accuracy.) Do I feel guilty? No, most of the tabs I got on Power Tab I already had in the many years of guitar magazines I have subscribed to. It's just easier to catalog and find them on the computer. The Purple Haze transcription I have is dead on.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am pretty sure I know the part you are talking about, if so, that tab is WAY off.

Try this, it should be very close.

~~~~~~~ ~~~~
E |-------------------------|---------------------------|
B |-------------------------|---------------------------|
G |-------------------------|---0-----------------------|
D |--------5--7^(9)--5------|---------------------------|
A |-5h6h7-------------------|------5--7----------------|
E |-------------------------|---------------3------15--|

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Yea, that is more accurate than the other.

http://vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Jimi+Hendrix+-+Purple+Haze,6782,1.html
Check out this vid if you need help on timings and stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I went back and modified it, I believe the second note is hammered-on, not a slide. And the last note is in the same measure.

It should be very close now.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Afo
(@afo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you so much

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't thank me yet, I went back and listened to the recording, to me the beginning is a little chromatic hammer-on run. So, I changed it again. :D

ReplyQuote
 Afo
(@afo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

just wondering.. what does

7 ^(9) mean???

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Afo

That means to bend the note at the 7th fret until it sounds one whole step higher in pitch (as if you fretted the string at the 9th fret). The number in parenthesis simply shows you how much to raise the pitch. If the number in parenthesis was 8, then you would just raise the pitch a half-step or one fret on your guitar. Most bends are usually a whole step, but some bends are very subtle like a half-step bend, some bends are huge raising the pitch two whole steps or more.

Hope I didn't over-explain that.

The little squiggley lines ~~~~ mean vibrato, that means to shake or wiggle the note.

ReplyQuote
 Afo
(@afo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate all of your effort, HOWEVER, I still do not know how that part iws supposed to sound, i get it up to the 5h6h7, but then the rest doesn't sound the same as in the song...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Afo

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. When you bend that note at the 7th fret on the A string, you have to bend it very quickly, raising the pitch one whole step. So you bend this A note up to B. Now, the moment this bent note hits the raised pitch B, you have to stop it quickly. This is sort of a staccato note (very blunt, stopped short). Then you have to go right to the note at the 5 fret (G) and sustain it, giving this note lots of vibrato or shake. You really just need to listen to the recording carefully to get this part.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Get yourself the freeware version of Winamp and go here (Downloads, then scroll down to Freeware, "Slow Me Down"). Install both then you can use the slow-downer to listen to the song in more detail

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3