Clear all

quality guitar lead

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I want to get a high quality, but affordable lead for my guitar. The one i have now came in a starters kit, so i am sure almost anything would be better. After looking around on the net, I realize i'm totally lost in what to get(MF has 7 pages of them).

This one looks pretty good, but then again im still new to this so what do I know :wink:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Premium-Vintage-Coil-Guitar-Cable?sku=330241

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Out of the blue it will just start crackling and give out awful feedback. I tried my guitar with a friends lead and it works fine.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member

Is there something wrong, or something that is bothering you about the one you got in your starter kit? Of all things, your cables will probably affect your tone the least...unless you have bad cables or a cable causing background noise.

I actually use some of the musiciansfriend cables into a gibson lespaul and a peavey xxx 212 combo, and I am satisfied over the 50$ cables I have bought before.

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

stay away from cables like that. the sealed ends makes it impossible to repair.
I forget the brand name I use, but they have gold tips.
get the kind that can unscrew on the ends.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I love how that Vox cable looks but I have no idea if it's any good. A very established brand is Monster Cable. Somewhat expensive, but with a lifetime warranty: anything happens to your cabel and you can just trade them in for a new one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-Monster-Rock-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable-?sku=331650

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

I bought one of the cables (sorry, can't remember the brand) that switches itself off when you disconnect it, not entirely sure how it works but you don't get any of the crackling/popping when it's not connected to the guitar - means you can swap guitars without any noise.

Of course.....I only have on guitar at the moment (<<<<<cries).....

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just started looking at the monster cables and i'll probably get one of them, their lifetime warranty pretty much seals the deal for me.

thanks for all the input :D

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I probably wouldn't get the monster cables. They are way overpriced but then again I'm not really into the high end cable market. Although if I were I would probably get mine from http://www.lavacable.com as he posts on some of the forums including this one I believe. But I try to stay away from the big companies.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Suppose the Lava is $20 whereas the Monster is $40. Suppose you live for another twenty years. That means cutting corners and not taking the overpriced monster is going to earn you the massive sum of $0.0027 a day. Or in other words: you'll be earning no less then a whopping 1.9 cents a week. Assuming the lava lasts forever. If it only lasts ten years of heavy use the monster is both better and cheaper.

Not trying to say it's wrong to get a cheaper cable, but the 'overpriced' part is fairly relative.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

but supposing you have $40 right now and need to eattravel to work and would also like to pick up a cable whilst at lunch. That $40 is now a lot of money, relative that is. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's exactly why I play with crappy cables and not a proper one. :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's the problem we all face being able to hold off with a purcahse until you can get something of good quality.

Instead of waiting until we get the $40 to buy something as good as a monster cable we go out a buy a $20 cable because that's what we feel we can spend and then justify it saying that Monster cables etc are overpriced.

In a few months we are back buying a new cable....but what do we buy the second time around?

I know I did the same thing about 6 months ago. I needed a cable thought the Monster cables were a bit pricey but guess what. I'm looking for a new cable already. And I'm not out there gigging or anything so my cables have not beed abused.

You always need to look at the value you are getting for the amount yopur paying but sometimes the most expensive things are that way for a reason..they are just superior products and if you want the best you have to pay for them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's the problem we all face being able to hold off with a purcahse until you can get something of good quality.

Instead of waiting until we get the $40 to buy something as good as a monster cable we go out a buy a $20 cable because that's what we feel we can spend and then justify it saying that Monster cables etc are overpriced.

In a few months we are back buying a new cable....but what do we buy the second time around?

I know I did the same thing about 6 months ago. I needed a cable thought the Monster cables were a bit pricey but guess what. I'm looking for a new cable already. And I'm not out there gigging or anything so my cables have not beed abused.

You always need to look at the value you are getting for the amount you're paying but sometimes the most expensive things are that way for a reason..they are just superior products and if you want the best you have to pay for them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like cheap cables, I really do.

I bought 3 cheap Musician's Friend guitar cables like these about a year and a half ago.

Musician's Friend Guitar Cables

Every single one of these cables is still working fine and I use them everyday. I actually prefer these cables over more expensive, heavy-duty cables because they are so flexible. Most of the playing I do is standing up, and I move around. Those heavy-duty cables just tie up in knots. Before you know it, a 15' cable is only 5' long. But these inexpensive cables do not tie up in knots at all.

I always run my guitar cable through my guitar strap so if I step on the cable it doesn't rip it out of the jack. This also secures the jack from moving so you don't get pops or crackles at all. And at my amp I always run the cable through the handle once or twice before I plug the cable into the instrument jack. Again, this stops the cable from moving, eliminating noise.

And I don't care if a cable I paid $5 for goes bad. If I get six months out of it, that is a good deal. No way I am going to spend $50 for one cable. I'd rather buy 5 cheapos and have money left for something else like strings.

I also don't like the type that screw apart. I have a soldering iron, but I never fix a bad cable, I just buy a new one. These screw-apart types always work themselves loose and make noise. So I like the sealed cables.

So, to each their own.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I make my own. (For myself. this is not an advertisement)

Belden 8428 bulk cable ~$1.30/foot
Neutrik NP2C male straight 1/4 plug $4.25 each
Neutrik NP2RCS male right angle 1/4 plug $4.85 each

All prices Canadian non-discount retail. With a bit of shopping around, I usually get some better prices.
But for right around $40 and a couple of minutes soldering, I have a heavy duty 25 foot cable that I trust.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Suppose the Lava is $20 whereas the Monster is $40. Suppose you live for another twenty years. That means cutting corners and not taking the overpriced monster is going to earn you the massive sum of $0.0027 a day. Or in other words: you'll be earning no less then a whopping 1.9 cents a week. Assuming the lava lasts forever. If it only lasts ten years of heavy use the monster is both better and cheaper.

Not trying to say it's wrong to get a cheaper cable, but the 'overpriced' part is fairly relative.
Let me add some personal data. I have no problem paying for something more durable and reliable. Unfortunately, Monster cable "cleverly" made some of their expensive designs less reliable by choosing to use two piece, screw-together connectors that provide the appearance of quality design and construction while hanging on the retailer's display. The connectors are gold plated and look very durable. Fast-forward to real world use: Unfortunately, these same macho connectors come unscrewed during use and the connection is broken => no sound! Yes, this is easily fixed by tightening the connector assembly, but who needs this during a performance? This is a poor design that obviously was not well tested. Worth $40? Only if one likes to look. Not one of my $15 or $20 cables with the ubiquitous Switchcraft connectors has ever given me any trouble.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2