Skip to content
Music Theory Traini...

Notifications
Clear all

Music Theory Training Course: What Do you think?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I saw this Music Theory Training Course on eBay and I was wondering if any of you thought it might be worth having in my library? They state that it was developed by the US Navy but I don't understand why THEY would create such a course? It appears to be quite thorough and not that much of a finacial risk.

What do all of you think?

Thanks

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

There's tons of books out there on music theory.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Never heared of it, the ad is kinda dodgy. Just get yourself a tried & proven book.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I can see the how the Navy could easily have their own course designed for naval bands, etc., but as a guitarist, why not get a guitar based theory course? That course you saw seems to be just theory with no practical application to the guitar. And the seller is just that - a seller, with a wide range of unrelated products, and probably no deep knowledge of any of them.

Here on our own doorstep, we have our very own acclaimed, tried and tested guitar related theory courses, such as Noteboat's "Music Theory for Guitarists", and Kirk's "Planetalk". And the beauty of those is that the authors are your 'captive audience' here in the forum. You can ask them anything at all and pursue them relentlessly for clarification on any point. Try doing that with your ebay seller - or the Navy.
And if you'd like a nice handy reference book to go with them, my own 'Fretsource Companion' - will do the job nicely. Sorry - couldn't resist :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Mike - I answered your post assuming you were asking as a learner, but having visited your site, I see you're well up on 'all things guitar' and may have been asking from a teacher's point of view - in which case a lot of my post was irrelevant. Oh well - That'll teach me to look before I jump in. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, Mike is a teacher but as far as I know not a guitar teacher. :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike - I answered your post assuming you were asking as a learner, but having visited your site, I see you're well up on 'all things guitar' and may have been asking from a teacher's point of view - in which case a lot of my post was irrelevant. Oh well - That'll teach me to look before I jump in. :lol:

I am a physical education teacher not guitar...I have been playing guitar for 1 year. I have Noteboat's book already and I like it. But it's always nice to have several sources...at least for me that is true. Sometimes one source doesn't explain something very well ans another one does...I was just looking to spend my money foolishly I guess!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote