Question About My N...

Notifications
Clear all

Question About My New Strap

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

My new strap finally came in from ItaliaStraps (after waiting almost a month!) and I am not sure the right way to attach this kind of strap. The wait was worth it though. The strap is handmade to order (that's why the wait!) and I paid $15 plus $7 shipping (eBay auction) and the leather is the softest I have ever felt! The inside is a black suede (but that part sheds a bit!)...

Could you look at this picture and let me know if I have it right?

Also, Does this look like I have the strap adjusted right for me?

Thanks!

(@Anonymous)

One more picture for good measure!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Two things, mike.

Where the straps adjust, weave the end in and out of each hole - it stops the bunching of the strap.

I'd put the strap the other way round - you want people to get a good look at it.

How high should you have it? Whatever is comfortable for your left wrist and arm.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

personally i could care less how it looks, what"s important is, does it feel right?
btw, does that acoustic still have the protective film on the pickguard?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

**BLUSHES** about 10 shades of red! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's been on there for 15 years and I NEVER knew it! It blended in so nicely I never thought to check it. I wonder if it will sound better now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks greybeard! That works fine. Plus it's better by the neck area...the extra slack doesn't get in the way!

EDIT

This is going to take some getting use to! Strumming is almost the same as sitting (actually easier) but picking will take some practice. I was messing up songs that I do fine while sitting...

Thanks everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, Greybeard is right, the narrow strap goes behind you, the wide strap should attach to your guitar at the neck in front.

Other than that, looks good. It is important to have a wide strap with an LP. They are heavy. After an hour or so you can get a stiff neck! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Other than that, looks good. It is important to have a wide strap with an LP. They are heavy. After an hour or so you can get a stiff neck! :D

After an HOUR! Try like 15 minutes my back was killing me! Those suckers are heavy!! However I do like that it is much easier to adjust your guitar so that the neck is angled upward which amkes it easier to play. Without the right height stool/chair it's tougher to do that sitting.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Yeah, turn the strap around it will feel much better and put some strap locks on that thing so you don't drop your axe.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Nice looking strap. I guess I should turn mine around, as I had the small end on top like you did. Never thought to ask though. :)

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I was just watching Crossroads on CMT (yes again) and Brad Paisley had his strap the way I initially put mine. But John Meyer has his the way greybeard mentioned. I guess it is all just personal preference.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard's method is by far the standard, but there really are no laws or anything, you can do whatever you like. You hang your guitar somewhat higher then medium, about the same height Bob Dylan hangs his guitar. In general having the guitar higher will give you a greater and more comfortable reach whereas a low position is usually considered to look fancier. I suggest you keep it as this level and see for yourself if it is too high/low for your taste. It really is just preference.

Oh, and congrats on it. Your back will be forever gratefull that you don't have to carry the LP with the thin Behringer strap. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Oh, and congrats on it. Your back will be forever gratefull that you don't have to carry the LP with the thin Behringer strap. 8)

Oh I don't use that cheap thing except maybe for leashing the neighbor's dog! :lol:

I could really care less what it looks like...I DO however like the angle better than I did sitting. It almost feels like the best of the classical and regular sitting positions (guitar resting on left leg/right leg)...

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Mikespe....the SAME thing happened to me with my 12 string that I recently got. I was thinking about POLISHING the pick guard as there were lots of scratches on it. I never thought for a moment that it had the protective film on it as the guitar was made 10 years ago. I STILL have the film on it and I, too, wonder if it will sound better. :wink:

Great guitar you have, and nice strap.

Dennis

ReplyQuote