Clear all

question about my playing

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

for those who have heard my reocrdings i have a couple questions.

i was at other message boards (perferably gamefaqs musicians and songwriters board) and they keep bashing me that my music sucks because of the following reasons.

1. i always need to work on my bending (which i don't know why because my teacher says my bending is fine, it may be this crap strat copy)

2. no emotion

3. i base my song around 1 riff

4. it just plain sucks

now a few people have told me that gamefaqs is filled with 12 year olds, but there are a few older people there who are in there 20's and some that are 16 and up.

i wan to know if these reasons are really true, because ive run into thois problem at every other message board except here.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

1. i always need to work on my bending (which i don't know why because my teacher says my bending is fine, it may be this crap strat copy)

2. no emotion

3. i base my song around 1 riff

4. it just plain sucks

1. Who doesn't need to work on their bends. Even the king of vibrato, Mr BB King himself works on his bends and vibrato. The average on these boards seems to be about 20. Most of these kids think RocknRoll is one step away from Mozart - they have a very limited view of music, which is probably confined to heavy metal and punk. If you can bend to a pitch and do it in time, I say "sod 'em". Gn has a very wide range of ability and experience. If the guys here think it's good, then accept that it's good.

2. I would like to know their role models for modern groups that play with emotion - unless it's unashamedly psycopathic, then there are plenty.

3. So do 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of musicians - otherwise we wouldn't have these incessant "1 million best riffs from June 2002 as voted by you, the readers of "Heavier than Heavy Metal Bi-Weekly" lists. And, let's face it, if you come up with a good one, you'll make a mint (and get a place in the next "1 million best riffs from..........." list).

4. Go and honestly "critique" some of your adversary's work.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well almost everybody there is into steve via, john pettrucci, and other stuff like that. There really isnt anyone that likes the newer bands, there is like 3 that do. and some people there also like the classic rock, like zeppelin and hendrix and all that stuff. oh and i forgot to add that almost 95% of them are grammar tutors that jump on you if you misspell a word :D

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Ska tell those people to go to hell you work harder at your playing ( based on what i see here) then most people. Everybody has areas where they can improve. I've listened to most of the stuff you post here so to answer point 4 in you post that's plain ridiculous. You base your songs around 1 riff? Well I don't know what music they listen to but all of the songs I listen to the riff is pretty much the meat of the song with things added on. Sure you could probably add a bit here and there but that will get better and better.

With regard to emotion I have to agree in a way but saying that I know when I'm recording myself you try so hard to get it right that the emotion kinda goes out the window. I'll bet that when you're just playing having fun that's not even an issue.

Keep strumming away dude. :wink:

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

true but i have encountered this from a lot of message boards, its like 3 different boards vs this one

so 3 against 1

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Dunno maybe they spend more time talking about guitar than playing it. :D

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

Ska from what I've heard, you're going to be a great guitarist someday. Sure, you have things that need improvement, but who doesn't. If the guys over at the other board are into via and all that crap, then they are probably looking for a shredder to give their approval to.

Thing is, most of the people over there probably couldn't play anything from the people they admire.

Chances are they'd treat me with the same disrespect because I don't play a lot of fast stuff. I like to keep things mellow and simple, not because I have to, but because I prefer it. But shit, at one time, I made a living playing my guitar. It wasn't a great living mind you, but I didn't starve to death. Thing is, I've been playing for a long time, and can shred with the best of them. But I've learned not to pay much attention to what other guitarist say about me. Guitar players are just like the rest of the world, they are jealouse of talent. They can't stand it when someone other than themself shows potential at all, and they will try to tear that person down as much as they can.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There's an old saying, " what poeple don't like in you is really what they don't like twice in themselves "

Quote:
" I want to know if these reasons are really true, I've run into this problem at every other message board except here."

Answer:
Here you'll find positive guitarist that will encourage you to practice and play your best. Learn to think like a winner. Think positive and visualize your strengths. The person who sends out positive thoughts activates the world around him positively and draws back to himself positive results. Our goals are simple we provide you with inspiration to touch your heart, lighten your day and positive resources to help you make your life, the life of your dreams!

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Might I suggest you not post in forums where everybody acts like a twelve year old! Been there, sc**w that! You'll get more intelligent critiques here than anywhere else. So if your looking to be shot down by all means post your stuff at the "armchair guitarists forum".

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I have avoided listening to your stuff. I have not heard any of it. It's nothing personal. What these people here say can be taken seriously or lightly. If any of the people that are moderators tell you anything, then you should listen. I have not seen any moderators here with an inexperienced or even mildly dumb opinion. So, if you value any opinions, value the ones here, by those that you know have experience.
I will commit to you that I will now listen to some of your stuff and then go to this other site and see what the heck they are all talking about.

It seems like this other site though, is all about shredders. Shredding is all good and fine, but most of them don't know emotion from their rear-end. Playing fast doesn't mean a thing. If you feel it when you play, then try and feel it some more. If you feel like you are in touch with the music you are playing, then stay in touch.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

ahhh the glory of practice

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

my usernma eis mukokushi there, i sorta make fun of them at the end, becauser thats how most of them talk anyways

ReplyQuote
(@apefeet)
Eminent Member

Ska,

I relistened to your songs, and checked out some of other poeples
songs on the board (gamefaq that is). I think maybe they are a bit
jealous :-). Music styles of people who post there seem to be varied,
but most of the recordings I listened to were too hard to listen too.
Many of tracks where clipped, or poorly recorded. I don't hear anything
wrong with your playing, you are on time and play correct notes. So
I would just ignore them and keep on playing.

Rich

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ska,

I wouldn't worry about what other people say. If your gonna post your stuff on these websites expect to get responses like that, whether or not they are true.

There's alot of jerks out there that are going to cut you down just to be a wise a@@.

I think pretty much everyone here has told you that your playing is good, but that doesn't matter either, it's what you think of your playing. If you think it's not good then work on those areas you feel your weak.

You'll never be able to please everyone.

I know if I posted stuff people would probably say I sucked (unfortunately) they'd probably be right but at the end of the day their opinions aren't gonna change the way I play, only I can to that.

Take forrock's advice and be positive, it'll all work out.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

Smoke a bowl and think about it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2