Clear all

Question for any violinists

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been interested in getting a violin and learning how to play it, I've seen a couple at the music store that were used and cost very little. Since I don't want to get ripped off, I was wondering if there are things I should look for like shotty bridges, bodies, etc or things like that. As well, I'm new to playing the violin... I've played the guitar for about 7 years and the drums for about 4, is there anything important i should realise about playing the violin? any help would be greatly appreciated (sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this).

Steve-0

(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Hey Steve-0!

I play violin (or maybe I should say used to play, as I haven't picked it up for a year or two now).

The first thing I would say, as a word of caution, is that it's not like guitar, where someone can learn three chords and be off playing loads of songs. You will sound crap, for a long time. I would say I didn't really play anything I was genuinely pleased with for a year, and even then it was very basic.

BUT - after a few years when I got a sweet violin and actually had some skills, it was SSSSOOOOOO worth it. IMO it's the most beautiful sounding instrument when played well - and loads of fun to be creative with.

Anyway - to actually answer your question:
For a first violin, you needn't be TOO concerned with quality. I mean in terms of scratches on the body etc. I once stood on my first violin (don't ask!) but after repair it was just as good, even though you could clearly see where the neck had snapped. If you were to try and spend the money now on a really good quality one, you would only be discouraged by your inability to make it sing.
The two things you will want to look at are bridge and bow.
Bridge - should be straight or as-near-as (they can end up bent under string-tension), and in good condition - if that looks cracked or generally dodgy in any way - avoid!
Bow - you will hate playing if you have a crap bow. I don't know how much these second-hand instruments are, or what bows they come with, but you might even want to consider paying as much for the bow as the violin. My first violin (new, with bow) cost £75ish (this was years ago, mind) and I bought a seperate bow for £25. That was OK for a beginner. Now, if I needed a new bow I wouldn't even dream of paying that little.

Sorry, I'm going on and on here.
Summary:
DO IT! Learn! If you stick at it you will be VERY well rewarded.
Be careful, but don't worry too much about the quality of you first violin.

In all honestly, there might very well be others who know more about the violin than me on this site, but hopefully this rambling post has helped a little!

G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

hi.
I used to play the Violin, now my children do. Most of the above post is right on the money.... also Violins come with a sound post inside the body.
It should be in the rear left side of the body (is that right?) If
that post is gone...look for another violin.

Yeah, Bows.
More than likely the bows that come with the violins you're looking at
will be shot. Or of poor quality. yoiu never know though. my wife
bought a violin at a pawn shop for our son last year. We got it for $180
US. the Violin itself was worth more than that. but the bow we found out is worth about $300 and it is a well made bow, heck it didn't even need
to be rehaired.
Oh, if you have a violin store near where you live, they make these student bows that cost like $20- $30 US made of Graphite...
They're really pretty good.

If you're in school, Get to know who plays 1st Chair.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The soundpost goes on the treble string side, right under the foot of the bridge. You should be able to see it through the f-hole.

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member

The first thing I would say, as a word of caution, is that it's not like guitar, where someone can learn three chords and be off playing loads of songs. You will sound crap, for a long time.

Part of what makes the violin hard is that it's fretless. But there are fretted violins too, here's a Schoßgeige (lap violin), which are played in southern Germany and Austria. It's bowed like a regular violin (but that's hard to see in this picture) and played with the body on your lap and the headstock up on a table. It's fretted with all 5 digits on the left hand. You can basically reach an entire octave on a single string, which makes the instrument quite versatile. They're pretty rare though, I've only ever seen one live once.

ReplyQuote