Clear all

New to electric

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey I am new to electric and need some help...
I have a Laney amp and cheap ephiphone I got for 200.
The guitar does not stay in tune and when you go to tune it it jumps sporatically. It has the whammy bar, so is that a tremlo bridge? Would I benefit by changing the tuning heads?
Also I am a huge dead fan...Jerry had his "Tiger" Setup with these amps
http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html
The only problem is that I have three single coil pickups and he used humbuckers in the middle and at the bridge. Can I still make my guitar sound like his. What pickups would get me near his sound?
And lastly, would it just make sense to get a better guitar than spend all this money on a crappy guitar?

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The guitar does not stay in tune and when you go to tune it it jumps sporatically.

It has the whammy bar, so is that a tremlo bridge? Would I benefit by changing the tuning heads?

Take it to a reputable guitar shop and have them do a setup on it. It sounds like you strings are grabbing in the nut. The bridge will probably need adjustment also. Should cost about $40 US.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

For the tuning, if your using your tremelo bar, then that would be the main culprit in the de-tuning. if not, then it could be the way you wire the strings with too many winds. if thats not the case, then the only thing I can think of is that its the tuning heads.

Good Luck!
Bstguitarist,
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have not been using the trmlo bar and it was already setup...???

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The guitar does not stay in tune and when you go to tune it it jumps sporatically.

I have not been using the trmlo bar and it was already setup...???

When you say it "jumps sporatically", are you tuning, then hear a *ping* and the pitch changes? If so, your nut slots have burrs that don't let the strings move freely through them, or they're flat out too small for the string gauge you're using. Either one of these things can cause the problem you describe.

If the guitar had been PROPERLY set up, this is one of the things that would have been caught and corrected.

Did you buy the guitar at Guitar Center or Sam Ash? If you did, then it's most likely the "setup" was done by someone who didn't take the time to check everything they should have.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's exactly what happens it pings then goes up a 1/4 to 1/2 semi tone. Can I just switch the string size at this point? Or have I messed up the nut? I got it setup at a local music shop, lesson learned in using them.
Any suggestions on the pickups?

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi.
When it goes out of tune, it goes UP in tone?...UP?
I don't think it's the machine heads. Do you get string buzz?
It sounds like a nut problem...it also sounds like new strings
but new strings will quit that relatively soon. Are you sure the nut
isn't mis aligned with the bridge?

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

That's exactly what happens it pings then goes up a 1/4 to 1/2 semi tone. Can I just switch the string size at this point? Or have I messed up the nut?

A *possible* temporary fix:

1) Get a new set of strings (possibly a lighter gauge than what you're using now).

2) After taking the old strings off, take a number two pencil, and color the inside of the nut slots good and dark. (Pencil lead is graphite, which will act as a a lubricant for the strings)

3) Put the new strings on, tune to pitch and see if you have the same problem.

Make note of the fact that the lighter gauge strings may give you problems with buzzing, or notes may sound out of tune farther up the neck, which will probably mean you need to take it to a good tech and have it set up all over again. You can also take a look at some of the DIY setup articles on Gibson's website (They cover Epiphone too) if you want to try to make small adjustments yourself.

ReplyQuote