Notifications
Clear all

Random gripe...

20 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

i'd be disappointed too if i didn't get a hard case,they really should give ya one for the more pricier guitars,how much do they(company)pay for a case?i'm sure its not much

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I ordered one of the Squier 51's, got it today and it is a lot of guitar for only $99.

My first time playing a '51 was a few weeks ago when I went to see my supervisor's band.

http://www.gutterboogie.com/

My boss Bob is the guy on the left . If you look carefully he is playing a PRS that he paid over $4000 for. He has about 17 guitars including several vintage Les Pauls worth some big bucks. He bought one of these 51's and has been playing it ever since. He thinks it is a great guitar.

I got a chance to jam with his band twice on that $4000 PRS. It was a beautiful guitar to look at, but it was nothing special to play, and did not sound any better than my LP Studio which costs much less (I think my LP sounds much better). No way I would pay that much for it. But that is the going price.

And the last time I played with his band the volume cut off on that guitar while I was soloing. Bob told me later his volume pot has a problem. Man, I have had my Squier Tele for several years and it has never cut out on me once.

A lot of these high priced guitars are hype. Yeah, they have beautiful finishes, fancy inlays and binding, and maybe very good pickups. But still, many are way overpriced. And people pay big bucks for a guitar with a name when they could buy 5 guitars just as good for the same price.

I don't care how pretty a guitar is if it's gonna cut out on me in the middle of a song.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Wes, i hope your boss isn't around here hiding in GN forums and getting insider information..:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rahul

Hey, if he came on GN it would be an asset, he's been playing over 40 years and is an excellent guitar player.

Funny story, the first day I met him at work I recognized him. I had seen him play an outdoor gig in a park way back in 1975. I told him I remembered him and he was shocked. He had not even mentioned that he played guitar. He did remember that gig, it was the only time he played at that park. We have been good friends ever since.

The point I was trying to make is that expensive guitars do not sound that much better than inexpensive guitars. They really don't. They usually look a lot better, and they are usually made of better materials. Normally they will stay in tune better and the electronics will hold up better too. But not always, as my experience with my boss's PRS showed. And his guitar is only a few years old.

The only thing I really care about is how good a guitar plays and sounds. I would rather have a $200 guitar that plays and sounds great than a $2000 guitar that simply looks pretty.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member

I've never really seen an attraction to something thats £1000+...simply because I don't have the money for it. I always set my sights for a guitar at about £300.

A good friend of mine owns an American Strat (£700), and I think its a nice guitar, but I don't really think its anything amazingly special. I think one of the major pulls for him was because it had "Fender" and "U.S.A" on the headstock. To be honest, I would be equally happy with a £200 guitar with "Squier" on the head. I guess its all about preference, and if you want a guitar that will impress you, or a guitar that will impress other people.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2