Notifications
Clear all

Recording on the computer

77 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

im not too sure about all this vocabulary but i believe the reason is just that a guitar has a much high impedence than a mic.

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

FWIW, this thread prompted me to throw caution to the wind and plug my guitar directly into my sound card.

Fried it immediately.

Nah...just kidding. :lol: It worked fine. I was able to record, using Audacity, with no problems whatsoever.

I'll probably continue to use the line level output from my amp, though, since it has built-in effects that I find useful.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Curious: What kind of sound card? I'd like to search for the specs, particularly input impedance. And how was the tone, especially on the treble side of things?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

You know gnease, I'd tell you if I could, but I really don't know. It's whatever sound card came in this cheap e-machines computer of mine.

The tone seemd ok to me, but bear in mind that I was only playing it back through the equally cheap computer speakers.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

BTW. a coworker of mine is waiting on a USB interface thing he ordered from Griffin (Griffith??) Industries that has a variety of inputs (mic, line, etc.) They claim the audio quality is much better than a soundcard. I'm anxious to see what he thinks of it.

Does anyone know anything abou this thing?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

A good interface will generally give you a huge boost in quality through impedence matching plus you generally get a little level control which is handy

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I keep thinking about getting a digital interface. My old Thinkpad had a nice stereo mic input and I'd just use my Pandora PX4 directly into it. Now I've replaced it with a spiffy VAIO, and the mic input is mono -- not so great for the PX4. So it's time to go digital I/O. Now I have to decide between USB2.0 and Firewire (1394). I'm leaning toward Firewire. Anybody have insight or advice on this?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I keep thinking about getting a digital interface. My old Thinkpad had a nice stereo mic input and I'd just use my Pandora PX4 directly into it. Now I've replaced it with a spiffy VAIO, and the mic input is mono -- not so great for the PX4. So it's time to go digital I/O. Now I have to decide between USB2.0 and Firewire (1394). I'm leaning toward Firewire. Anybody have insight or advice on this?
I was just getting ready to order a USB interface myself that Tracker had recommended for me and I am in the same dilemma as you. I am now thinking firewire would be nice just because of the speed. A friend of mine has a firewire camcorder/camera and he transfers and plays via firewire and it is slick. I just have not seen a pure audio interface in use. On the other hand a wire is a wire so I guess the important question is the software interface. And USB is cheaper but just a little slower than firewire. Choices %$&#

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Nils...have you checked these out: M-Audio Firewire Interfaces? They are a bit pricey but there are a few at $199.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your right, they are a little pricey. Since I am getting a new amp, audio interface, mixer and mic I think I may stick with the cheaper USB. $50 is $50.

Thanks

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have heard great things about the USB...plus if you have USB 2.0 they it really isn't much slower than Firewire

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have heard great things about the USB...plus if you have USB 2.0 they it really isn't much slower than Firewire
I do have 2.0 and it is the M Audio USB interface I am getting.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

nils,

firewire or usb doesnt make that much of a speed difference. you don't need extra speed. plus if you are using the interface as your primary soundcard which most people do. then your firewire slot will always be taken. so you can't plug anyhting in. where as USB is cheaper just as good and you have several usb ports on your computer im sure. some are also firewire/usb i believe. when buying the interface make sure you have atleast two 1/4 ins, 1 or two midi in's hopefully a digital in and out. (mine has) and a limiter (very inportent so you don't damage your hardware) you should be willing to spend atleast $150. i reccomend the Edirol USB audio capture AU-25

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is the one I am getting since I have heard what it can do.

M Audio MobilePre USB

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

&imgrefurl= http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodList.asp%3Fidcategory%3D118%26curPage%3D2%26sortField%3Ddescription&h=100&w=100&sz=6&tbnid=-HGyqT48cM0J:&tbnh=77&tbnw=77&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dedirol%2BUSB%2BAU%2B25%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3D G"> http://www.videoguys.com.au/ProdImages/ua-25_rnd.gi f" target="_blank">http://www.videoguys.com.au/ProdImages/ua-25_rnd.gi f"/> &imgrefurl= http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodList.asp%3Fidcategory%3D118%26curPage%3D2%26sortField%3Ddescription&h=100&w=100&sz=6&tbnid=-HGyqT48cM0J:&tbnh=77&tbnw=77&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dedirol%2BUSB%2BAU%2B25%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

the m audio one is ok. but you should check out my link above. which is the edirol. its alot more extensive. and its about the same price. remember that site is austrialian dollar which is like 3.5 times the american dollar. another good thing about the edirol is that it has an option on the right channel input to toggle between hi z and low z for a guitar you would porbably want high Z and more a mic probably low Z aswell it has a peak limiter to keep your hardware safe.

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6