Recording on the computer

77 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

You might want to check this out:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.php

It works with Windows PC's too, I think. This is thing that a coworker of mine is getting.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I checked and it is $239 US on MusiciansFriend but it does look pretty good and functional.

The ideal for me would be to find a mixer and interface all in one in the $200 to $300 range. And compact also.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nils: M-Audio has a pretty good rep. Tascam has been pushing similar stuff for several years, but I'm not actually sure about USB versus USB2.0 on their less expensive interfaces (which do include leveling pots and 16 Midi channels).

Mackie has gotten into the digital interface biz too, but is a bit higher in price.

Max: As for using up a firewire interface, I never use mine for anything else anyway. I've got many more things to plug into a USB port than a firewire port, so USB is much more in demand. Digital video seem to be the main competition for the firewire -- not my thing. I suspect the same is true for many users here.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

i agree i wouldnt go with a tascam product...i have herd good things about edirol's and m audio...creative also has some extensive products that can be used for this....its a little more pricy though..if you were going the way of a tascam u may want to check out the US122

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

just wondering, if I post the model of my soundcard, and its specs, etc will that be useful in any way in finding out if theres a chance I could ruin my soundcard?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't think you're likely to ruin one. I've never done it, and I'd be very shocked if I did hurt one just by plugging a guitar into it. An amplified signal is something to be careful with, but a guitar should be safe enough.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I'm not sure if either of these have been mentioned earlier, but you might want to check out

1) M-Audio USB Fast Track. This is bascially an outboard USB unit that replaces your sound card. It has both a guitar and mic input. I use mine with Guitar Tracks, but any of the recording software mentioned will work. I picked mine up as an open box at Guitar Center for $79. I think it generally goes for $99. Here's the manufacturer's site:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB-main.html

2) Zoom PS-04. Slightly more expensive - $179 or so - digital 4 track recorder with drum/rhythm patterns and bass built in. There's a great forum where you'll find lot's of friendly people willing to help an answer questions (sounds familiar, eh?) at:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/index.php

The product web site is here:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/models/ps04/pdmodel.html

Hope this helps.

Steve

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

I record using the jack out of my amp that says "record" into a Creative Labs USB sound card using the line in RCA jacks. I use the software that came with the card to record to WAV then I use dbPowerAmp to convert it to whatever format I want.

It's super easy and I think the card cost me $30 at Walmart. It sounds pretty good too--way better than the onboard sound of my laptop. I have used it to record from my minidisc into my desktop and it worked great there, too.

If your amp doesn't have that line out feature I have no idea what you'd do.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I like to use the preamp out that's for my effects loop when I record, into a Creative Soundblaster Live!, which gets the job done.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

**UPDATE**

At the top of this page, I posted a link to a thing called an "i-mic" from Griffin Technologies that a coworker of mine was getting.

Well, he finally got it, and it apparently doesn't work very well. So, steer clear.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the warning

On audacity, or even goldwave where do I change where the sound input is coming from, instead of the microphone to the soundcard

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

File, Preferences, Audio i/o then there is a pulldown to select.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

thats for audacity and goldwave?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

thats for audacity and goldwave?