Clear all

redunant question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently bought an Ibanez SZ 520 QM (lefthand), as I have already written in another threat.
Now I am about to change strings but I'm not sure about the gauge. I like the ones that are on but I'm not sure wether they are 0.10 or 0.9
I asked the shop assistent and he told me they should be 0.10 and I personally have the feeling that they are indeed that gauge. But I really want to be on the save side and not to f*** up the set up...
Does anybody know? Do I have too much concerns about that?
My other, much cheaper guitar went nuts (no pun) when I used heavier (or different) strings but maybe that was because of the tremolo system.
:?:
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I have the same guitar, SZ520QM in BB (red). Strings are .09's not .10's. Yes it does make a difference, tension thing. The thicker gague strings will actually be under more tension and pull on the neck more. This will change the truss rod adjustment. The bridge will be set for smaller strings also and need to have the intonation set. The adjustments are not hard and the info is here http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/guitars_basses.pdf Truss rod is a 4mm allen wrench.

John M

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

So basically, if you put 9's on, it'll be fine, and if you put 10's on, it'll need to be set up...

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies!
SO the assistend was talking rubbish. Well it isn't that bad - nobody is perfect.
I like the 0.09 so I'm going to buy a few packs and put the remaining 0.10 onto my Honer and use the guitar to experiment (set up, etc... I once heard, you have to ruin one guitar completely to knwo what you are doing or at least to know what you should not do... :P )

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Your welcome. It could be that his favorite strings are 10's and that is what he recomends regardless. There is also some setup info on the carver site if you wish a different viewpoint.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes that's possible. But I somehow knew I would get the right answere here in no time :D
And: The more info the better I feel 8)
Thanks again!

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

If you really want to be sure , take the guitar to a machine shop or a local auto mechanic and ask them to measure the strings with a micrometer . That eliminates all doubt .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote