Right hand technique

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

When I started playing el guitar after many years of acoustic playing I realised that something was terribly wrong with my right hand. I have problems alternating between strumming full chords and picking single notes. Never having had a teacher, I have figured out things myself always.

Yesterday I was so lucky as to spend a few hours together with a GN member residing in Oslo for some time. He quickly realised that I'm holding the pick too lose and too far out between the fingers, positioning the hand far away from the strings and with the pick at a strange angle too. This has worked OK always for strumming and simple picking, but I notice that I have tended to reposition the pick when switching between different styles of playing. Now it feels almost like starting all over again...

New pick / hand position feels *weird* but it is immeadiately clear that it enables me to do things I haven't been able to do before. I think closeness to the strings and using also the thumb/index to move the pick are parts of the clue for me here. He also gave me a "worst case" alternate picking excercise and lots of additional good stuff for practicing.

Will give it a serious try for some time - I feel I may end up as a totally new guitar player!!

So, thanks Andy, if you are still around here!!!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Its amazing how in plaing guitar, a simple change of technique can help you play better(or worse in some cases! :lol: ),but obviously better in your case Lasko. Glad you had someone to help you!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

So please share the exercises with us! :)
I think I'm having the same problem...

ReplyQuote
(@richw)

Since I started working on my lead guitar skills a little bit, I've been trying out Dunlop's "Jazz III" picks, and I must say that I really like 'em: they're small (though there is also an XL version), basically forcing you to only leave a small part of the tip sticking out from your fingers when you grip 'em well, and the tip itself is pointy leaving less area to 'strike' the strings themselves--and hence you get less friction when you pick, basically. It just feels very smooth, very precise.

They might assist you when it comes to developing a speedy & accurate picking technique.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that RichW

That's another thinkg I'm altering. I have been using big and thin (.60-70) picks. Have always been afraid of heavier picks. Yesterday I found a 2mm Dunlop pick at home (on the washing machine) and tried it with my "new" techinque - hmmm - think I'm onto something.

And Lucam
I will share the exercises - I just have to make sense of them. I had tabbed down some parts of an alternate picking exerrcise - assuming I should get the rest of it straight - well I didn't. Have to check that.
In the meantime I keep myself busy picking single tones. The same tone on the same string hour after hour (well...). I'm trying to get a feel for playing with a pick using the fingers also to move the pick - try it - awesome.

Lars

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the tip RichW, I'll try them for sure.
Don't worry for the tabbing larsko, I'll try to work on the same position you described well.
Let me know about your progress, I'm really interested.
Thanks
luca

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I checked myself out with that problem by comparing how I practice scales compared to how I strum because like you I didn't pay much mind that I tend to hold the pick with a bit more showing then I hear advised. Seems I can play scales the same way holding the pick as strumming which seems the same as picking a chord. Also would you sometimes want more pick showing to get more volume sometimes? So maybe the answer is to not change positions as opposed to how its held.....anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

who's the member...his id ?

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

^ Loke

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Generally, after they have been playing for a while, most people find that heavier picks (I'm talking HEAVY, like 1mm and above) are better because they slice through the strings more easily. Its right to choke up on the pick as well when soloing and whatnot. The transition to strumming can be tricky, but it takes practice. Try some Stevie Ray Vaughn if you are into the clues, Dave Matthews if you're not,...Zeppelin acoustic stuff does a fair amount of switching around.... SRV is the best I think, because it focuses on groove and forces you to stay loose. Grooving to the beat will help you make the transitions. I can't say how much this has helped me. Holding the pick loosely is not "bad," as long as its not obviously overly loose; its better than holding it too tight. Remember: tension is BAD. You're body will tell you how tight to hold things, but err on the side of looseness.

I actually prefer ordinary sized to larger picks, it gives you room to move around with. you can always choke up. I've been looking for some of these:

Tom (my teacher) says they are good, I'd like to try them

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Loke
(@loke)

Here's it; the alternate picking exercise...
Start with an downstroke and then alternate consequently downstrokes / upstrokes...
This means the movement is: down / up / down / up.... and so on.

4/4
Gtr I
|-----------------------------------0-0---0------------------------------||
|---------------------------0-0---0-----0---0-----0---------------------||
|-------------------0-0---0-----0-------------0-0---0-----0------------||
|-----------0-0---0-----0-----------------------------0-0---0-----0----||
|---0-0---0-----0---------------------------------------------0-0---0---||
|-0-----0-----------------------------------------------------------------||

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

thanks a lot, I'll try it for sure

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Interesting...when I strum, I hold the pick so lightly it almost slips out of my hand. Holding the pick with a light touch seems to produce smoother sounds....at least in my case. Should I tighten up on the pick to prevent it from slipping? It has slipped out from time to time, so perhaps I may be answering my own question.....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek-9)

yea tighten up just a little, but allow it light enough for your softness and consonance. as for those Jazz III's, im looking at one right now lol, i liked them in the begining, but as i advanced i found that after a while their thickness tends to be too think for the strings, IE: an alterate picked A major ascending solo starting on G on the low e, whenever i pick it, its picked really fast and someimes i lose control of the pick. my favorite picks are definitle Dunlop Tortex .60's (they're orange). i like them because you have good control, and they're not too heavy or light...just an opinon, but those Jazz III are insane for pinch harmonics :D

Rock on.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Interesting...when I strum, I hold the pick so lightly it almost slips out of my hand. Holding the pick with a light touch seems to produce smoother sounds....at least in my case. Should I tighten up on the pick to prevent it from slipping? It has slipped out from time to time, so perhaps I may be answering my own question.....

BTDT ;)
I've always done like that - big soft picks held lightly - what I've begun to realise is that if I hold the pick firmer, and with less of it showing I get far more control, and I can even use a thicker pick - I've increased from 0.60 to 2(!, Dunlop. I've had it forever, but never used it), and it works better!! ... or at least it feels like it is going to be better - will keep on practicing like I do for some more weeks - update will follow

Lars

ReplyQuote