Clear all

Rudie Can't Fail

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lavadave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas on what would be a good way to get a similar sound as the guitar at the beginning of the clash's Rudie Can't Fail. I just love that particular sound for the intro. It sounds to me like a flange effect but I can't quite seem to match it. Is there some compression in there or something?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"Sing Michael, sing!"

I am pretty sure that Mick used a MXR Phase 100 for that song, though he did use (overuse?) flanger elsewhere. Probably some compression too. I'd try the neck pickup.

Good luck!

Oh, best album ever! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that "what he used to record the song" is by no means the whole story. Sound engineers and producers do have a tendency to add effects after the recording has been completed (doubling a track with minimal delay to make it sound fatter is one such addition). They can get away this because noone expects exactly the same sound on stage as on a record.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Both the replies are on target. Slejhamer is probably right about the MXR phase 100. The thing you should always consider when questioning such things is what equipment was available at the time if the recording.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote