School annual show... What should I do?

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

I've just come back from my guitar lesson and my teacher gave me a sheet that talks about the school annual show... I am not obliged to do it, but if I want, I must confirm before mid-December... The show is in Febuary

The problem is that I'm a very SHY person and I lost everything when I play in front of other people...

I don't know if I should do it... I know that I can play something good for my level, but what if I was in front of many people?

Should I try this BIG challenge or I may be traumatized for the rest of my life if I make a lot of mistakes?

Your opinion please :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Stage fright is a common thing that most everyone gets. When you think about it though, there's really nothing to be afraid of.

I think Wes said once, that everyone in the audience will be wishing they were you up there playing the guitar, and most of the time even if you do make a mistake, they'll never even notice. Remember, we are our own worst critics!

That said, I say go for it! You'll have fun and everyone will think you're cool! 8) :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

We have a similar show twice a year. I'm generally the only adult that performs, but 30% of the students are considered adult 8). I've done some duets with my kids and some solo numbers. No singing yet, but maybe some day.

As Dan says, most people in the audience will be envious and they will be supportive. After each performance I mention all the mistakes I made & my family and friends usually say "what mistakes". :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen? Miss a note or something? I bet it's not the only one of the performance. Give yourself a break and get out there.

What songs are you thinking of doing?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The audience wants to love what you're doing. Especially at this type of performance.

Here, watch my son's first recital:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KATM4JGmfxo

He's the last one to perform, and the 'lil guy is in front of 60-70 strangers (and a few family - that's his grandpa at the end).

If he can do it without stage fright paralyzing him, so can you.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For now, I'm working on Nothing Else Matters, Metallica.

I think that song will be a great choice if I'm doing the show..

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

One of my favorite quotes ever (and I think it's in my signature) is "How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." Trey Anastasio from Phish said that and it's true. Regardless of what you think about their music, no one can deny that they did nothing but have fun on stage and that's how I try to play. There's no point in being nervous. I mean, really, what's the worst that could happen? You have a crappy performance....who cares? Most won't notice and those who do have been there. I guarantee that (insert guitar hero) had a few horrible shows in their career.

Just go out there and have fun.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

The way I think of stage fright is as nature's way of telling me "Pay attention, this is important!"

And it IS important! There's so much to see, to feel, to hear and to take in, that your brain wants you to experience it all.

The physical feeling of fear and excitement/anticipation are virtually identical, the difference is only in how you think about it in your mind.

I also believe (and for me and my band, the last three months have confirmed this overwhelmingly to me) that every time you do something you haven't done before, or something you were afraid to do, your world expands, you grow as a person, and great things start to happen.

Isaac

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check out the various GN articles on performing live.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, Claudine,
You've already performed virtually 'live' several times here, in the Beginner's Video thread. And been great!
That's got to make an all out live effort a small step. Best wishes and looking forward to hearing how it went...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The best way to have confidence when you perform in front of others is to practice, practice, practice, and when you are sick and tired of practicing, practice some more. :D

Now, you know that deep down inside you want to perform in front of others, we all do. That is why we play a musical instrument in the first place (and a love of Music). And you know that it is FUN.

Besides practicing the songs you are going to perform, you need to start psyching yourself up right now. Tell yourself you are going to go out there and have fun. And you are going to have fun, it is impossible not to.

People want you to do well, they are all pulling for you. Go out there and smile. You gotta have a little bit of the Fonz in you. Musicians are cool. Go out there and knock 'em dead and quit worrying so much. Nobody is going to shoot you if you make a mistake (they only do that if you are super great like John Lennon or Dimebag Darrell).

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the comments and the link to the GN articles, I'll read this for sure! :)

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

One small bit of advice, that has probably been mentioned somewhere on here in the past.

A good way to work up the nerve to play in front of an audience, is to practice performing in front of people. Start with your Mom & Dad, then slowly build up the number of people. Make sure the people are close to you (family or very good friends). That way you will feel their support, and you will be more comfortable in front of them. When you mess up, either start over or keep on going - they will love whatever you do. Once you are comfortable with that group, add a few more friends, building to an audience of at least a dozen or more. If possible, try to play many times in front of people in the months to the perfromance.

My 8 year old son plays every few months at guitar recitals. He has no fear and is used to playing in front of people. He got that way by often playing in front of family and friends before his first recital.

You still may be slightly nervous the day of the big event, but it will be MUCH more manageable than if you go to the show with no practice in front of people. Good luck with it!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Go ahead! It always will be a positive experience! :D

I received a great advice first time I was in front of an 'audience'. When the moment is near, perhaps a week, you will be nervous and afraid: when it happens, think in next day, think how you feel when you finish it.

By the way, every time I have a new conference or every new semester I keep feeling those butterflies in my stomach. The day when I don't feel them, probably, I'll change my profession.

Keep us informed and, please, prepare us a video as a pre-première! :D

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'll post a video of the song before for sure :wink:

But the problem is that, even in front of my parents, I can't play a whole song.. I play the intro, stop and say: "that's it" with a smile :roll: I don't like to feel observed by one of two people.

Don't know how it'll be in front of 15 people.

But last week, I was playing on my cousin guitar in his living room, and he was there with 2 other cousin (10, 14 and 18 years old), I got no problem to play in front of them. My uncles and aunts were just beside, in the kitchen, and they heard me (they liked what I played). I know that they would have hear me play, but not having them in front of me was not stressful..

Still have to work on that... :wink:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2