Notifications
Clear all

Sending Cds out for promised Reviews

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

OK, not wanting to reveal the name of the judges might be to keep them from being harassed, but I agree, she absolutely should have given you a credible reason. I'm tempted to think either she's the judge or she just gets a bunch of friends together.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have never heard of this whole topic........

You send a CD of your hard work to some anonymous outfit on the internet so they can tell you if they like it..........or so they can copy it if they like!?!?! How would you like to go to an event and hear your work being played by some other band????

But I am probably missing the whole concept of the thing here. :oops:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Now the picture's clearer. What happened was this individual over-extended herself by setting up a website for an indie-music group inviting musicians to send in Cds in order to be a 'member' and thereby be 'listed' on her website. It was bad judgement on my part as the site was (as Greybeard's noted) outdated and not been updated for at least 2 years. There were links that were more up to date thereby lending it some credibility and as it was a local address I took a risk. Normally it is unusual to send Cds for the purposes that I assumed it was for - joining up with folk musicians for collaboration, exchanging of info on recording studios, etc.
I believe that this person over-estimated her abilities and her committment to follow through on her project because in the end she wasn't very professional in her response when asked to clarify what her operation was about and who her 'reviewers' were. She flippantly said that she didn't know anything about the Cds, that it was a 'FREE' service and if I wanted to volunteer my time to it I was welcome to come down to a songstage. I was met with defensive threats that I'd better be quiet and not post on her 'lists' any further or else. She emailed me 'warnings' to stay off the list that I posted these questions on (not GN, on another music forum).
Since then A-J has informed us what the 'reasonable expectations' are for sending Cds to organizations and I'd like to thank him for disclosing this information as even more seasoned musicians haven't bothered to clarify the process when asked.
As it isn't unusual to make enquiries on a forum about the repute of a label or promoter I had no hesitations in mentioning this individual's name. Apparently she felt it wasn't a positive outcome for her image so she reacted defensively and threateningly. Others on the forum also warned me not to mention it so as not to 'burn my bridges' when approaching other music companies. I felt that the other posters weren't very comprehending of what I was asking and that they were misjudging me harshly even calling it a 'flame war.'
As for concerns that people will use my material my copyrighted lyrics and song samples are all over cyberspace by now on Soundclick, Cdbaby, Dmusic, etc so should I really be concerned? Someone has already used bits & pieces of my lyrics in their songs and even 'messaged' me to check out their new songs. Doesn't that happen to everybody? It tells me that someone's listening very closely to my songs and isn't that what I want people to do?

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2