Clear all

slight pain in fretting hand

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

. For the last five days or so I've had this pain about 2 inches behind the knuckle of my index finger on my fretting hand. I've always kept my thumb behind the neck and I think when I tense up it makes that position put too much strain on my hand but its the way I always done it. I notice trying to have my thumb over the neck it can rest better even under stress but then I am paying attention to the thumb and its ackward. Maybe I need to break a habit, don't know :?: Anyway was wondering if anyone had a similar pain and if so what they did, or if its just muscles that need to get stronger

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds like you need to relax. If you feel yourself tensing up stop and figure out what's causing it. On a side note go to Jamie Andreas's site you'll find a few articles on relaxing there.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've seen jamie's site, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a longer look. I'm also thinking about lighter strings on my acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I sort of have the same problem. Only, It's just below the knuckles across the whole (fretting) hand. It just started recently.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Whatever you do, don't play while it still hurts. If it is tendonitis or something like that playing will just make it worse. I had a similar pain a month ago or so and laid off the guitar until it went away, which took 4 or 5 days.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Also check to see if you're learning a new song that requires extra pressure for the chords.

From a vitamin and herb perspective, here is some things to try.

Healthy oils (i.e. fish oils, Udo's oil, flax, borage) help lube up the joints
Unhealthy oils (fried foods, margarine, Crisco) will make it worse.
Healthy oils can be eaten as food (in salad dressing), or taken internally (1 tbsp 2x/day).

Arnica oil is wonderful when massaged in.

The yellow spice tumeric (curcumin) is a strong anti-inflammatory.

A B vitamin deficiency can cause carpal tunnel and all sorts of problems.

Ben Gay is an old remedy.
There are some higher-quality versions, such as Joint Gel by Integrative Therapeutics.

Of course, the best remedy is to "Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up!"

:D

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ivan, I think your absolutely right about laying off for a while, but it won't be easy

PRNDL, I take fish oil internally but never thought of putting it on, and its true trying something new puts more pressure on....the body ain't what it use to be

ReplyQuote