16.9 K Views
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

My first guitar hero was my dad! :-)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@jadda918)
Trusted Member

Paul Simmon

"Life Is Beautiful,
Life Is A Struggle,
Life Is A Beautiful Struggle" - Mos Def

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Grady Martin was your uncle? How cool is that!

http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/bobloyce/grady.html

Wrong Grady...

My Uncle was Grady Harris, and to my knowledge never went into the studio with her, just part of the live band. This was just when Loretta Lynn was starting out, and right around the period she met Patsy Cline.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

My first guitar hero was my dad! :-)

aww.

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

my dad and my uncle

ReplyQuote
(@treebeard2308)

My Dad took me to see Gary Moore at the Hammo O many years back.Special guests were Albert Lee and Albert Collins. My Dad had been playing guitar for many years but I had never shown an interest. I walked out of that gig and turned to my Dad and said "you gotta show me how to do that stuff" the rest as they say is history!!

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@treebeard2308)

Guess I could also say my Dad coz he Rocks!!!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

For me it was the girl next door. Actually, she was not too happy about it and didn't live next door but in the next town.

When I was 16 or 17 I dated this girl and one night when I was at her house her two brother, who both played guitar, were practicing and I said something like "that's cool". They asked me if I wanted to try and I did. Shortly after they loaned me a guitar that actually belonged to their father until I could buy one and they started giving me lessons.

They brought me far enough a long that I actually played a few weddings and parties with them.

I was hooked..

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@linda88)

i'm another of those: my mum..

i asked her what i should get for my bday present, and she just said guitar. Maybe its because during that time, my downstairs had people playing guitar....later i also found that my next door, or somewhere nearby, another dude was also playing guitar....is this rather a "neighbour influence"?? i dont like to think of it that way though...

but hey, it was after all John Mayer who got me commited to guitar....forget what i said before... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I toyed with it for a long time. Always knew people that played, dated a few girls who played - one very seriously, know a couple of bands, etc.

But what finally hooked me was my grandson. He's been fascinated by guitar since he was 2 and me wanting to stay a stong influence in his life decided this was the perfect excuse. Unfortunately family health issues took a lot of my time and I couldn't start in earnest right away - I've been playing steady for a little over a year. My grandson is now 7 and we go to guitar lessons together each week - his first, then mine.

The kid's good. He's going to be much better than I if he stays interested. That, of course, is motivating me to practice even harder.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

What got me into it was Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. I thought to myself: "I wanna play that song!"

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

and..

(Ritchie Blackmore + Candice Night (his wife))

made me start playing and carried me through my first year.. now its Mike Batio and Yngwie mainly.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

Joe Satriani and my dad and sister...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

If I had to pick one person who got me into guitar it would be a good buddy of mine. He gave me an old electric guitar and amp many years ago. I didn't do much with it then, but it planted the seed. Just recently he's gotten into classical guitar. It inspired me to start learning again. So I went out two weeks ago and bought a new electric and have started playing again.

As for famous guitarists that have inspired me, Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page, SRV, Angus Young, actually the list could go on. Mainly rock guitarists.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@dynamoiv)

Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6