Notifications
Clear all

So who got you into playing guitar

81 Posts
73 Users
0 Likes
16.9 K Views
(@accessdenied01)

Eddie Van Halen! And Yngwie Malmsteen! Wow!

Shut up N play yer guitar-Frank Zappa
lol
-Ashley

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

Guilty as charged.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Squirrel nailed this one on the head, I began wanting to be better then everyone else. Then just better then myself.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@slash)

slash rose

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

I got a cruddy acoustic for my 16th birthday and didn't really bother with it for about 6 months.

Then I discovered Ween, and I learned to play by playing their songs.

Pretty boring story, but it's all true.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Can't believe I never noticed this before!!!!

When I was a kid, 6-7 years old, the Beatles.........but I never got a guitar till 10 years later, by which time I was into Mott, Nazareth etc......Manny Charlton was probably the biggest influence on me, while I was still really struggling with chords, I found out about open tunings and learned "Child in the Sun"........

Since then, got into Led Zep,lots of other rock bands - but my favourite guitarists are the ones who can switch from standard tunings to open tunings.....The God of that has to be Keith Richards.......

He doesn't even need a slide!!!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Playing the guitar has been a dream of mine all my life, when i was younger it was becuase I was raised on music like 7 mary three and counting crows and i loved that crunchy guitar sound. But what really did it for me was when I went to this really great concert in my area called locobazooka when i as 12, and i saw them guitarists and i was like "man i gotta learn that. I asked my parents and they promplty said no, so i kind of gave up. Until i saw a video of steve vai playing "tender surrender" live. I heard it and i just thought "that is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard" so from that point on i was determined to play and here i am. :D

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

I used to see this dude play around the high school on his lunch break and in the band room. I thought it was cool. So CHristmas 1975 I got my first guitar, an Estrada classical.

ReplyQuote
(@wrath_within)

Jeff Hanneman, Kerry King, Alexi Laiho, Dimebag Darrell

ReplyQuote
(@hurleygurl624)

tom delonge, a long time ago in his old punk days. i know it's lame!, but today i'm a better guitarist than he could ever be.

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

Jimmy Page

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member

The guy who played at my 2nd wedding. He learned 2 songs for our wedding in the truck, listening to the cassettes on his way to the wedding. The guy wasn't very good at planning ahead, but he is an amazing guitarist.

I wish I had some way of finding him on the web. He has his phone numbers unlisted, and lives 4 states away.

Anyway, he is fantastic. One of those guys that just started playing in high school, and slept with his guitar in his hands every night.

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

ReplyQuote
(@sparklekitty)

Rhandy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, and my husband... who saw that I had so much fun wailing away on my Air Guitar to Ozzy & Van Halen that he encouraged me to pick up the real thing -- even though my only previous experience with a musical instrument was the recorder in Grade 4.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Five people got me into playing guitar:

Randy Rhodes, Slash, Eric Clapton, James Hetfield, and Michael J. Effin' Fox.

Randy - Blizzard of Ozz helped do me in as far as getting into guitar were concerned.

Slash - The man's a god damned beast of guitar work.

Eric - God is great. I've been listening to his stuff since before I had fine motor control.

Hetfield - Say what you will about Metallica, but from the moment I first heard Master of Puppets, I was hooked by the sheer ferocity of his rhythms.

and Michael J. Fox - You cannot say that his performance in Back To The Future of Johnny B Goode was anything short of stellar.

Honorable Mentions - EVH - Hot for Teacher, Tom Morello for Killing In The Name Of,

and the door prize goes to Green Day, Poison, and Oasis for making the three songs for guitar that contribute the most to my love life. (I only wish Talk Dirty To Me worked as well as Every Rose Has Its Thorn....)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@viator)

My Mom

Eat rice!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6