0 Likes
16.9 K Views
(@sre123_2002)
Estimable Member

stevie ray vaughan and muddy waters

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

Well what really got me into playing guitar was my 22 yr old friend....we usually just hung out alot skating watching movies, picking up chicks (which wern't really many) hahaha yah....well i can still remember one day we were just sitting around and he started playing the riff from "come as you are" by nirvana...me and my other friends who knew nothing about guitar at the time were quickly impressed....after that i went home dug out the old old old Nikko 6 string (got it at a yard sale for like 50 cents when i was 4 or 5). I printed the tabs off the internet....and learned it....tabs were pretty much common sense....6 lines, 6 strings whats there to learn hahaha.....after that i've been hooked ever since....to this day my older friend picked up bass...my brother drums, me and my cousin guitar...so yah we just basically feed off eachotherm, when someone learns something new, we make it a personal goal to learn it as well or learn someting better hahaha anyways were just basically hoping that one day we will be halfway decent....

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Too many influences to list. Ahh the advantages of growing up in the late 70's and 80's when guitar rock was at an all time high.

Three biggest influences-

B.B. King
SRV
Angus Young

It was me that got me into it though.(Very long story) Had contact with guitars and players off and on since I was 7. Hit 33 and figured if I was going to do it I'd better do it now. Haven't looked back since.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@hurricane)
Trusted Member

has to be bob dylan,when everyone around him were trying to be hip and new he just got up there on stage with his acoustic, his mouth organ and sang about what was important to him. pefect role model for any aspiring musician.

And i'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it and reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it.- Bob Dylan,a hard rains gonna fall

ReplyQuote
(@guitarchick)

Me and my best mate went to primary school together and we started learning the very basics at after school lessons, but gave up after the keyboard became popular. Then we grew up and descovered grunge and thought 'hey, we remember how to play C,D,and G, lets start playing again and be really cool!' So we did, I eventually moved on from grunge to rock, and am so glad I picked up that guitar again! How many people must be gutted that they cant play the music they love listening to?

"Never discourage anyone who continually make progress, no matter how slow" Plato

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ok, I'm gonna chime in on this one and really show my age :shock:

One of my earliest clear memories was my Mom, Dad and I going out to see my Uncle Grady play with Loretta Lynn's band. I was about 4 or 5 years old ( 1961 or '62 - right before she had her first big hit ), and was simply fascinated by the music and lights.

Uncle Grady bought me my first guitar, and gave me my first guitar lesson. I've been hooked ever since.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

Hey, I've posted here a couple times, as my count says, but I think i'm going to start getting more involved since my playing is getting better daily i'm having more and more fun. Even with theory!

Anyway I figured I'd add my story to the list here so I didnt' feel left out =)

I don't really have a famous favorite.

When I went off to university, I loved music, been around it all the time, I had taken piano for awhile, played the trumpet for a few years, but never stuck with anything. Anyway, at university one of my house mates was a guitarist, he had been playing for only 4 years, but it had turned into his life. He'd go busking for money and such. One of his bands came up and did a concernt for our residence section, awesome stuff.

So one day I mentioned I was bored. He said "Matt, you need a guitar." And I said "Well, I know my mom's got one in her closet at home that hasn't been played for 30 years." And so next time I was home, I picked it up and brought it back. From there i started learning chords on my own, then when I got back for summer I took up lessons, and here I am now, about 10 months in, getting my second acoustic soon. Loving it.

Ta Da.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
 Engl
(@engl)

What got me into playing was the combination of two quite different things really.

The first one was Fender guitars. I had a huge interest in guitars before I could even play a single chord. My dad had a Tele and a Strat, I knew all about em but couldnt play. I looked up everything about em, and was fascinated by the simlicity of the Telecaster and the perfection of the Stratocaster, and of course the fact that 50 years later, their construction is strong as ever. Eventually I started learning all about different electric guitars and amps. Im currently working on building my own guitar.

If Fender put my eyes and mind on guitars, then metal certainly put my hands on em. Ive had an interest for rock and heavier stuff on TV/radio, but it wasnt until i found the extreme stuff that I really found what I was looking for. I got into certain sub-genres, especially melodic death/black/doom metal, and thats where I found so many cool/beautiful riffs, melodies and solos I just HAD to play. Reason I hadnt played guitars before was that I didnt think there was enough music worth playing, with that changed, I soon started playing. The one song that pushed me over the edge would be the instrumental Dialogue With The Stars by now-sold-out In Flames.

(notice to american readers, european metal scene is generally quite different from the american, and it was the european flavor i fell in love with. I think the only american band I really listen to is Agalloch)

ReplyQuote
(@sw1tch)

For me it has GOT to be Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler and Pink Floyd...Im glad my dad introduced me to these artists or else I would've never met em in my life since all their albums and such were a long time back...most when I wasnt even born(Im 16) :)
Plus Ive always liked music and Ive wanted to play the guitar since a year now and Ive started so Im glad.

ReplyQuote
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

For me, it was "Wanted" by The Cranberries.
A nice simple song
I have liked a lot of diverse music in my day;
but it was a year and half ago;
I can remember it: I said to myself "this is nice...I want to do that..."

Desire is the most beautiful thing in the world...

Cheers,
Fretzky :D

ReplyQuote
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

a guy called ian who came with us on a camping trip to get away from his wife.he hated camping but made my weekend.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Ok, I'm gonna chime in on this one and really show my age :shock:

One of my earliest clear memories was my Mom, Dad and I going out to see my Uncle Grady play with Loretta Lynn's band. I was about 4 or 5 years old ( 1961 or '62 - right before she had her first big hit ), and was simply fascinated by the music and lights.

Uncle Grady bought me my first guitar, and gave me my first guitar lesson. I've been hooked ever since.

Grady Martin was your uncle? How cool is that!

http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/bobloyce/grady.html

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I got myself into it. Hendrix and SRV and Pagey kept me into it.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@enguarrand)

It was Lou Reed from the Velvet Underground's European Son. It was just such a crazy song. I'd been listening to Zep and Black Sabbath since grade 6 or 7 but it was definetly Reed that inspired me to play.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@chalmodo)

i did it to get girls.

as did everyone else... cmon admit it!

all you need is to be human to be able to rock.
just dont be sad if some of us are more human than others.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6