Skip to content
So you thought you ...

Notifications
Clear all

So you thought you knew how to tune your guitar?

27 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

and I hope that one day I'll understand some of what has been written in this thread. :roll:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

and I hope that one day I'll understand some of what has been written in this thread. :roll:

I think what they're saying is that due to the designed functionality of the doo-hickies, the whatchumacallits cannot thingamugate in an ideal manner. I could be wrong. :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Apologies: wasn't intended to be patronizing. It's just that most people don't really care to get past a certain point in the details ... eyes glaze over, minds drift to something more interesting.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@guitarflame_com)

I thought this is going to be just an other article and your post a link bait, but it was cool. I saved it for later to read it when I will have a bit more time! Congratulations for it!

http://www.GuitarFlame.com - Guitar stories from a semi-pro guitar player, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, personal view of rock music.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Be sure to check out the book link above, too. It covers the issues in that article in much more detail, logically presented in easy to understand language (the book is aimed at musicians), and a LOT of other things of practical interest to musicians. Think you understand room acoustics? You'll learn a lot you didn't know. Know why your guitar sounds different if you pick it with a sharp pick, a blunt tipped pick, or bare fingers? You'll learn. Lots of stuff about things like pianos, violins, woodwinds, brass instruments, hearing...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Apologies: wasn't intended to be patronizing. It's just that most people don't really care to get past a certain point in the details ... eyes glaze over, minds drift to something more interesting.

I didn't take it as patronising, I've just filled my brain with so much other stuff that about halfway through the last page I stopped making sense of it all. I do wanna understand it better at some point, its just not as high on my list of priorities as 'making nuendo work properly' 'not ruining my strat when trying to mod it' 'trying to figure out how to make a 24 hour day contain 48 hours work' and so on.

Ricochet - props on the link, I'll add it to my librarything to check out later (I have kindly been 'given' 900 pages of text by Steinberg, as they kindly put it, to be getting on with right now, lol). Actually, room acoustics is one thing I know a wee bit about....and I had massive fun using SoundonSound's text frequency cd on my mum's top-of-the-range hifi system to demonstrate my point that the speakers were not ideally placed. I've even gone so far as putting my recording gear in my bedroom, since the bed being by the window means I can flip the matress when mixing/recording to prevent unwanted reflections from the window, lol.

And don't even get me started on the topic of lighting.....having techied on a couple of tours and in theatre, I notice lighting effects and shortfalls in a horrendous way, and immediately start talking about 743s and the like whenever I go to a gig........instant way to confuse every one around you.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am with you, Scrybe, so I decided to stick with the early man's method of tuning. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I think what they're saying is that due to the designed functionality of the doo-hickies, the whatchumacallits cannot thingamugate in an ideal manner. I could be wrong. :cry:

That fun game with the doo-hickie where you try to get the needle to stay green while tuning your guitar. :)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I must admit though, I've never tried to use pitch pipes in my life!

:D :D :D

Vic

That's how my father taught me to tune my guitar when I was 13! I still have his pitch pipe, but I use electronic tuners now! (They didn't have them back in 1969, though! At least, not that I know of!)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

'trying to figure out how to make a 24 hour day contain 48 hours work'
Yeah, hurry up with that will ya? :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I don't need a friggen engineer to tell me I'm out of tune.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2