Clear all

Some Action Questions

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Now from what I understand the lower the action of the guitar the harder it is to play with a slide. Right now my acoustic guitar has very low action (the strings are practically touching the fretboard) and it's virtually impossible to use a slide on it.

I'm planning on buying a new guitar this week. I'm 95% set on an Art and Lutherie AMI. That's the small parlour one. Now I can't afford to get into the whole dobro game, and I'm primarily looking for a guitar to accommodate my folk playing. But I'd also like a guitar that can deal with at least a bit of slide. So should I just look for an A&L with the highest action I can find?

What are the limitations of a high action guitar apart from it taking abit more pressure to play barre chords?

Also an important question: I like to use open tuning and I use open E quite often. I don't like using open D with a capo because it just doesn't ring as it does with open strings. So the question is: does having a higher action make it harder to tune strings higher than standard tuning?

Any advice? Thanks.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

guitars with high action are a pain to play above a certain level fret, barre or single note. you don't want that on your main guitar if you play more than open chords.

tuning is the same difficulty.

i'd suggest checking the used guitar racks and pawn shops and finding some old beater with a really high action. maybe you can find one for $40.
*this is what i recommend*
or
install a higher saddle and nut on a guitar. this can be a pain, so you'd probably want a shop or luthier or guitar tech to do it for you.
or
learn to use a feather-light touch on your slide.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have my eye on an A&L parlor at a local guitar shop. those low prices are tempting. the workmanship looks nice. wow.

as you, I am always hunting for a simple acoustic for slide. having higher action can be set up at the shop for you. and unless the action is really high, as found on those really cheap toy/import guitars, you should have no problem playing regular style.
use a glass slide and be light to the board and you should have no probs.

I get a few clacks and buzzes sometimes, but that is part of the sound. no big deal if it is kept under control.

I dont know if A&L typically has higher action than other makes. so just look around and have your slide handy to try stuff.
dont limit yourself to one brand either.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advise folks.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote