Clear all

Some advice needed...

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am learning the first solo in 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' and am a bit puzzled by something in the tab I haven't seen before and I hope I can explain myself ok.
I am supposed to do a bend at the 17thy fret and hold it and then release back to the 17th fret but before I release the bend I am supposed to play a note at the 17th fret I am a little bit puzzled by this....can anyone shed any light on what I should do???
Thanks in advancce folks...

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Are you sure the tab isn't just showing you how far to bend the note (usually anywhere from 1/4 to 2 frets higher)?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Musen,
the bend is in the 6th bar of the solo-fret 17 bend one and a half steps with vibrato then in the tab there is a dotted line (whilst playing vibrato) then the release happens.
In between the dotted line the tab shows a ghost note (fret 17) and then a proper note (fret 17) then the release happens.
It's just not something I've ever seen before and am not sure how to do it...

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I checked out the powertab version and I see what you describe.

The ghost note looks like an eighth extension of the dotted 8th note that starts the measure (the first bend.) You don't play that ghost note - just hold the bend another 8th.

Then you see the "proper" note prior to the release which is shown in brackets. The proper note at fret 17 is actually played while you are bending - play the note (a 16th) at fret 17 before releasing, then release.

Listen to the powertab and you'll hear what I mean, I hope. :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that slejhamer-I think I get it now.
Cheers

ReplyQuote