Clear all

Songs for jamming....

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@uke42)
Topic starter  

So....
I've got a party planned for next month, (graduation, yay!) and It's going to be a music party where the people who play/sing are going to bring their gear and we'll (hopefully) collab. and play something nice-soundin' for all in attendance. Pretty informal, in my backyard, nothin' fancy. Now, because I don't want this to turn into four hours of us sitting in a circle, going "I dunno... what do YOU wanna play?" I figure that I had better have some songs with chord sheets in reserve in case we get stuck.

Since this is my first time hosting a jam session, I was wondering what songs would be good choices?

There should be a wide range of levels and playing styles attending this shin-dig, from semi-pro jazz guys (piano, sax, trumpet) to young kids in school band, to kids who play resonably well, to parents, and those just learning guitar. I need a variety of songs so that no one feels left out.

Thanks in advance!

-uke

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would narrow it down to having idolized progressions and easy turn around progressions. The one's you know at one time or another everyone heard sometime along the path of life.

I use a laptop just for than reason. I have a ton of songs on there anything and everything, covering all the different style's. I have sheet music, tabs, lyrics, you name it, including Mp3 tracks of just rhythm guitar doing idolized chord progressions to real songs, and complete backing tracks covering all styles. Then with Adobe audition installed and all the loop tracks allow for instant original material also.

Use to be hauling in a case full of cassettes, tape player and big box of sheet music. Then spending half the time looking and digging through everything for a song. .

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

ForrokStar....what is an "idolized chord progression?" never came across the term before....is it just a chord progression everyone loves playing?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

They would be chord progressions that are used in numerous songs over the years. A band would write a song using the chords only playing it different or in their style. Some progressions would only use two chords, some three chords for example, say like 50's progressions, 12 bar, etc. here's a few to show what I mean. I know once you see the chord patterns you'll start thinking of the different song's you've heard over the years that use the same chords played differently, maybe back wards, sound wise, melody.

Am, G, F, ....All along the watch tower, Fred Bear( uncle Ted Nugget), Greg Kean

D, C, G...Sweet home Alabama, Snoopy,

Turn it around...G, C, D

Em, Am

E7, A

G, Em, C, D

D, Bm, G, A

Millions of 12 bar...I, IV, V

Turn it around.. V, IV I..."Taken care of business"

This just a few off I could think off hand. Almost kind must knows when you go to jam somewhere. Because some are reused so many different ways. I can remember times playing parties in Sin city were we would play the same chords for about a half hour or longer, playing at different tempo's, different drum beats, turning them around, playing them back wards, mixing up the chords, using distortion, playing them clean, using effects, not using effects, singing different vocals, making vocals up as we went along. The party animals were to busy partying, dancing, and getting crazy know-body even noticed...lol (Still do sometimes)..lol You know just jaming..aka making stuff up as you go along. Well OK big word (improvising). Next time your listening you'll start to recognize some.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

bit of 12 bar is always gd...

"wild thing" 4 chords, everyone knows it

"knockin on heavens door" 3 (or 4) chords depending on how ya like it and what version.

um..... house of the rising sun? :D

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote