Clear all

Songs in 13/8 time.

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't know any 13/8 songs, but Money by Pink Floyd is unusual, 7/4 I believe.

one TWO three FOUR ONE two three

Another unusual time is the beginning Intro to White Room by Cream, 5/4 time.

ONE two three ONE two but played,

ONE two two three three ONE and two.

Fun subject. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

My head hurts...

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I still mess up 3/4 royally if I'm not paying attention :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Here's one my wife and I did a few years back:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/Re_Volt

It's entitled "Insanity"

"Surfing on Saturn" is in 14.

Lotsa fun, odd meters.

I break up the counting into 2s and 3s. The thirteen one I count as 123 123 123 12 12.

Oops, the surfing one was called "Summer Surf" back then. :)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You'll find all sorts of wild time changes in classical music. Things that are more dance oriented tend to be fairly locked into 4/4 and 3/4 time.

But in pop and rock you can often find wonderful little quirks. In the bridge of Here Comes The Sun, for example, you get a measure of 6/8 followed by one in 5/8 followed by one in 4/4 followed by one in 7/8.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

You'll find all sorts of wild time changes in classical music. Things that are more dance oriented tend to be fairly locked into 4/4 and 3/4 time.

But in pop and rock you can often find wonderful little quirks. In the bridge of Here Comes The Sun, for example, you get a measure of 6/8 followed by one in 5/8 followed by one in 4/4 followed by one in 7/8.

Peace

Thats similar to many Tool songs, Lateralus, the music teacher at my old high school was very confused with that song.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'll find all sorts of wild time changes in classical music.

Yup - one of my favorites for odd meter is Charles Ives. One of his tunes is in 4-1/2 over 4 (ONE two THREE four and AND ONE...) - I've heard that when he debuted the piece, he had to use amateur musicians... because the pros couldn't count it, and amateurs didn't worry about counting so much.

Another of his tunes is written without any bar lines, with an instruction for the performers to choose whatever meter suits them.

When asked about his compositions he said "I don't write music for sissy ears".

Zappa's got plenty of cool meters, as does McLaughlin - his "Argen's Bag" is in 11/8.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

DemoEtc

Wow, I really enjoyed your songs.

Surfing on Saturn reminds me of Kashmir by Led Zeppelin in the middle.

Insanity was very good. Your wife has a great voice.

Wes 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Wes! Odd meters have always been a hobby of mine, and these were fun to do.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, Demo, that kind of music reminds me of the Windham Hill label and their group of musicians. Good stuff.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

Huh?? You mean there are songs out there that aren't done in 4/4? Oh! Er.....

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

You'll find all sorts of wild time changes in classical music.

Yup - one of my favorites for odd meter is Charles Ives. One of his tunes is in 4-1/2 over 4 (ONE two THREE four and AND ONE...) - I've heard that when he debuted the piece, he had to use amateur musicians... because the pros couldn't count it, and amateurs didn't worry about counting so much.

I played a piece by David Holsinger for concert band, don't remember the name, that had big pretty choral style part in 4/4, and right in the middle of everthing, one bar of 1/8. Sort of had that same effect as the 4-1/2/4 you referred to. It was very confusing to play, for sure!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 Faza
(@faza)
Eminent Member

I wrote a song for Viridian a while back that mixes alternating bars of 9/8 and 5/8 on the verse and then reverts to 4/4 for the chorus. It was an experiment to see whether I could do Tool! :D Another fun idea to try out is mixing 6/8 or 12/8 time (played as triplets in 2/4 or 4/4 respectively) with eighth-notes in 3/4. The note durations stay the same, but you get accents every other note, instead of every third note - it flips the rhythm on its head. :)

Viridian on MySpace

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I played a piece by David Holsinger for concert band, don't remember the name, that had big pretty choral style part in 4/4, and right in the middle of everthing, one bar of 1/8. Sort of had that same effect as the 4-1/2/4 you referred to. It was very confusing to play, for sure!

Depends on the conductor in that case... some will keep the tempo according to the note (so it would be the same as 4-1/2 over 4 for that measure), others will keep the beat unit (so it would be a full beat, and go ONE-two-three-four-ONE-ONE-two-three-four)

Either way, it can be confusing :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

What time frame shuffles come into ?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2