Clear all

sooollos

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@grungy-grunge)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello, i want to learn about impoviseing (<......yes i know spelt wrong but i cant spell) solos but i cant find a lesson to start with can anyone help?

thanks dan

im not like them
but i can pretend
the sun has gone
but i have a light
the day is done
but im haveing fun
i think im dumb
or maybe just happy
i think im just happy..i think im just happy

(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

There's a list of stuff here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/improvisation.php

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The link gunslinger gave you is a great start.

You can also mess around with scales. Try to get something going in your head, and then try to find the notes on the fret board.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

An excercise that is really usefull for learning to improvise (and in general improving your ear):

Think of the melody of a kid's song like "Row Row Your Boat." Something you can hear in your head clear as a bell.

Now play it.

It'll take you a long time the first time you try it. You'll be frustrated and pissed, but play the whole song.

Now think of another, different kid's song, maybe "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." Get that tune in your head.

Play it.

After you've done this about a hundred times, now think up a lick in your head. Really hear it.

Play it.

Pretty soon, you'll be playing it as you think it. When that happens, you're improv ready.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

One thing thats helped me massively in getting my own style in improvising is this. I'd go back through solos I've learnt take a very short lick/phrase, see what scale shape it comes from and then try and integrate that lick into my playing and do that with a few more licks I see as useful, and something I could put into my own style.
At first it just seems like your gonna sound like your obviously copying someone else - But in time when you build up more of these licks, mix em with your own, they blend in with your sound.

Of course a good place to start though is by learning the Minor Pentatonic shapes. A is a good key to learn it in.

Like KingPatzer said too. Learning to hear what you wanna play in your head as your playing it is very good.

And of course contsantly messing around, practicing.

ReplyQuote