Clear all

Souping Up Squier Strat

28 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, so I guess learning to mod is what I should be aiming at..probably a summer project.

Are there any sites that will show me what a guitar looks like when it's taken apart, the parts it has, what they do, etc?

And what do I need to solder? Where can I get these tools? Are they difficult to use? I soldered once, at a robotics camp, but not much after that..should I be doing this in the garage or something?

Thanks a lot for your replies!

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Hmm, so I guess learning to mod is what I should be aiming at..probably a summer project.It could be fun, save you a few bucks, and give additional satisfaction of besides being able to play the guitar, have hotrodded its electronics, too. 8)
Are there any sites that will show me what a guitar looks like when it's taken apart, the parts it has, what they do, etc?One of the best, "my other favorite GN" besides GuitarNoise, is GuitarNutsâ„¢. http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php There's all kinds of good info there, including electrical safety, shielding a guitar to keep hum and other unwanted noise out of your signal, and many illustrations.
Another good one, with background info about switches and other things that are very nice to know, is (Wolf's) Guitar Wiring Site. http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm
If you need to ask questions, the guys on the GuitarNuts Forum are very knowledgeable and helpful. Just make sure to get the right one, the one on Proboards, since there is at least one "spoof" out there that will hijack your browser. The GuitarNutsâ„¢ site has a link.
And what do I need to solder?A good soldering iron (stay away from soldering guns for guitar work), rosin core solder (never acid core for any electronics work), safety glasses (solder can spatter when it's heated), and some other odds'n'ends of tools.
Where can I get these tools?Radio Shack or other electronics supply, or a good hardware store.
Are they difficult to use? I soldered once, at a robotics camp, but not much after that..should I be doing this in the garage or something?Anyplace you can work safely and not worry about spatters, etc., is good. (Hint: Don't drip hot solder onto the finish of your guitar.) Getting good solder joints can take a little practice (remember it's more about electrical continuity than "sticking things together"), but heck, even I've had some success with it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I posted this a few weeks ago - it links to videos of Seymour Duncan installing new pickups in a couple different ways:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=23489

Might be helpful to you. Also pay attention to his soldering technique. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Hey, cool! 8) How'd I miss that until now? (Hmm, prob'ly had the shades on. :wink: )
Thanks, Mitch.

EDIT: As a side note, if you don't already have (Apple) Quicktime to play the videos, you might want to try "Quicktime Alternative.". It's better-behaved than Quicktime. "And that's all I've got to say about that." {/Forrest Gump mode}

ReplyQuote
 Riff
(@riff)

I'm new here at this site, so bare with me. I have a First Act ME 305 is it worth upgrading? It has two single coils and a bridge humbucker. I got it at cheap ($59.99). It retails for $175.00. It was a display model at Sears. There are numerous well known players that use First Act guitars. I was actually surprised by this fact. The lead guitarist for Kelly Clarkson, and INXS support First Act.

Anyone have any thoughts on this guitar? It sounds pretty good, but does have a slight fret buzz.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I'm new here at this site, so bare with me. I have a First Act ME 305Is that the Strat copy? If so, I've seen reviews for it, but not by model number. The reviews weren't exactly gushing, but nobody said it was a junker, either.
is it worth upgrading? It has two single coils and a bridge humbucker. I got it at cheap ($59.99). It retails for $175.00. It was a display model at Sears. There are numerous well known players that use First Act guitars. I was actually surprised by this fact. The lead guitarist for Kelly Clarkson, and INXS support First Act.I'd say yes on the upgrade, but that's just one reader's opinion. If the ones those pros use aren't a much higher-end, "private reserve" model compared to yours, then their use of 'em is a good sign.
Anyone have any thoughts on this guitar? It sounds pretty good, but does have a slight fret buzz.Correcting fret buzz may be as simple as having a setup done. If it's been awhile since you had one done, or if it's never had one since you brought it home, it might be time.
The comments about the factory setup ranged from "okay" to "nearly perfect." One user dissed the strings that theirs came with, and went to D'Addario 11's. Everybody seemed to think the Strat copy was pretty good after a proper setup.
There are some sneaky little things that can cause fret buzz, some that we might never suspect. See http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/startbuzz.html for more info.

And welcome aboard, too.

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, just lookin' round at pickups online for my squier affinity strat.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking at the GFS pickups right now, and from what I've heard they're pretty good?

Just confused about some terminology. What do: "overwound", "hot", "reverse stagger", and "texas strat" mean?

Thanks a lot.

Btw, would it be better to replace everything on the squier at one time? (including bridge/tuners, etc). Or just do the pickups first and see how they sound and then install a new bridge, etc, afterwards?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

heeey now...what's this about solderless pickups? is that possible? where do i find these magical entities?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Hey, just lookin' round at pickups online for my squier affinity strat.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm looking at the GFS pickups right now, and from what I've heard they're pretty good?Very highly regarded, from everything I've seen, especially considering the price. My project to install a pair of "Crunchy PAF Zebras" in a Memphis LP copy has been postponed for too long, but I'll eventually be able to review some, too.
Just confused about some terminology. What do: "overwound", "hot", "reverse stagger", and "texas strat" mean?"Overwound" means more than the usual number of turns of wire on the coil(s). That produces more DC resistance, thereby making the pickup "hotter" (higher output).
Since "reverse stagger" is usually mentioned in the same sentence as Jimi Hendrix, I believe it has to do with Jimi's use of a right-handed Strat, with the order of the strings changed to accomodate his left-handed playing. That left the strings aligned with the pickups differently than they would have been on a guitar specifically built for a lefty. It may have contributed to his sound, but custom pickup maker Greg Kinman kind of advises against it. http://www.kinman.com/html/myProducts/strats.htm#Reversestag

"Texas Strat" I think is a particular Fender model, but if you think of Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughan (to name just two), you'll get the sound.
Btw, would it be better to replace everything on the squier at one time? (including bridge/tuners, etc). Or just do the pickups first and see how they sound and then install a new bridge, etc, afterwards?Either/or, I'd say, although I tend to favor doing it all at once just to minimize the unstringing/restringing chores. Too, the electronics stuff and the bridge, etc. are "two separate but equally important groups." {/ "Law & Order" intro mode} Either could improve the guitar by itself, but in sum, all of it together should make a major improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I have a set of the Overwound Strat Single Coils - they were $18 for the set and worth 3 times as much. (check the clearance section). They are RW at the middle position. I highly recommend them. Really REALLY good value.

Also, I tried a set of the PAF humbuckers from GFS and was also impressed with their sound. Logic would say that these pickups come from the same factories that put together other import pickups for Epi or Jackson or Ibanez, but these do seem better.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I just bought some GFS vintage strat pickups online, so I'm waiting for them to ship. It turned out to be around $75, with the shipping, but oh well.

Now I'm just wondering, in preparation for the installation:

1) I have to unstring the guitar in order to install the pickups, right? Will this damage my Squier's neck with the change in tension, if I leave it unstringed for too long? (which I expect will happen, as this is my first time installing pickups...probably be lots of mistakes...and..confusion.) (and if so, how long is too long? this is a cheap affinity strat)

2) My memory's a bit hazy, but to solder, what I do is heat up the soldering iron, touch the solder with the iron so that I get a bit of solder on the tip of the iron, and use the tip of the iron to contact the points that I wish to connect?

3) Every time I replace my pickups, I will have to restring my guitar with a new set of strings? So say, if I mess up with the connection of the pickups, string my guitar back up with new strings, and plug it in to test it out and it doesn't work, I'll have to unstring (throw away that set of strings), mess with the pickups again, and then restring with ANOTHER pair of new strings?
Is it possible to test out the connection of the pickups and make sure they work without going through all that?

Sorry for the long and newbish questions, I've tried looking around at GuitarNuts, and some things seem pretty complicated :|

Thanks for helping me out!!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Don't wast your time with the tuners ( unless they are bad) Tuners either work or they don't work. I would replace the pups and go with a good set up 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Well, I just bought some GFS vintage strat pickups online, so I'm waiting for them to ship. It turned out to be around $75, with the shipping, but oh well.
Now I'm just wondering, in preparation for the installation:
1) I have to unstring the guitar in order to install the pickups, right? Will this damage my Squier's neck with the change in tension, if I leave it unstringed for too long?I think as long as changes are made gradually, even something "low-budget" like a Squier should be fairly forgiving of differences in string tension. (See https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=300 for some good info on stringing and cleaning.)
2) My memory's a bit hazy, but to solder, what I do is heat up the soldering iron, touch the solder with the iron so that I get a bit of solder on the tip of the iron, and use the tip of the iron to contact the points that I wish to connect?Somewhere on here, Slejhamer recently posted a link to a tutorial on soldering. I think the subject line is something like "How To Solder -- With Video." And some more, from Seymour Duncan: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/how_to_install_a_pu.shtml . (I'd suggest something like Quicktime Alternative for viewing the vids, but maybe that's just me. :wink: )
But yeah, "tinning the tip" of the iron with some solder is good. Then apply the heat to the parts to be joined, briefly heating them enough for the solder to melt and flow when it contacts the parts.
3) Every time I replace my pickups, I will have to restring my guitar with a new set of strings? So say, if I mess up with the connection of the pickups, string my guitar back up with new strings, and plug it in to test it out and it doesn't work, I'll have to unstring (throw away that set of strings), mess with the pickups again, and then restring with ANOTHER pair of new strings?I think if they're carefully installed and removed each time, you should be okay with the same set, for awhile anyway.
Is it possible to test out the connection of the pickups and make sure they work without going through all that?You can (and should) check your wiring as you go along. (Do you have a multimeter yet?) Once you get a "full circuit" from one or more pickups to the output jack, you could check it by plugging into your amp and tapping on the pickup(s) in different switch positions. Once you're happy with that, the strings can go on and you can make sure the pups are at the right height, etc.

And remember, everyone here had "newbish questions" at one time or another. I can come up with a new question almost every day, and on many different subjects. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2