Notifications
Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@jbeery)

I sure understand about wanting to at least hold one before hand. When the price hit $89.00 (us) dollars shipped my thinking was why not- Two hours after it was delivered I ordered a second one. This little rocker-box just screams and is a real kick to play. At the price you would be spending I really don't know if I would pull the trigger. It does play as well as many guitars in the 300 to 400 dollar range that I have played but at over $250.00 I could talk myself out of it....maybe. Wait I don't have to I have one in hand and one on the way for less than $200.00 and I am doing a happy dance! I really, really like this guitar a whole bunch!!!
So here is one more name for the list.
Best wishes and Merry Christmas To All,
jim

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

It might be easier to make a list of the people on this forum who didn't buy a Squier 51. LOL.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

At $275 (US) I think you'd be paying normal and fair price for the guitar. At that price I think you'd have to be looking to buy a guitar, not impulse buy like the rest of us. In the US we paid $99 for theguitar with no tax and no shipping costs. $99 out the door - literally. At that price it can make a great 2nd or 3rd guitar, or a fantastic practive guitar.

In fact, it probably makes a great gig guitar since you are not going to be worried about it falling, getting stolen, etc...

I should have mine put together and playable by the end of this week. The lacquer job is just about done, and I've begun working on the wiring. Did anyone else have a problem replacing the humbucker? The route in my '51 was just a little too small for the Duncan humbucker (the metal flange that the screw goes into is a LITTLE bit wider than the Squier humbucker) so I'm going to have to file it down. Ill probably try to file the edge of the route first, and then sand the flange.

Also, the single coil pickup is slightly smaller than normal, so it won't take a regular pickup cover (wanted to change mine to black).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

LOL, this thing is still going. :D

I liked my Squier '51 so much I ordered another one, got it last week. I got the Sunburst. Man, I am impressed with the color, really beautiful.

Get one while you can, you won't be sorry.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

LOL, this thing is still going. :D

I liked my Squier '51 so much I ordered another one, got it last week. I got the Sunburst. Man, I am impressed with the color, really beautiful.

Get one while you can, you won't be sorry.

Of the three colors, I think the 'burst is the one that exceeds expectations. Black meets them. The blonde doesn't look as cool as I expected because it's not transparent.

And I've got to go with Wes' opinion of the pups. They sound very cool. This guitar has no problem putting out for many styles. Check out the tones in the Funk 451 jam over in Hear Here.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

Well, I just ordered another one. I have the black and just ordered the sunburst. So, put me down for another one. Now, if I could just play the guitar a little better! :D

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I may be ordering another one as well. Mine has moved on to my son. He wanted to save for a 3/4 scale Squier Strat but I talked him into my '51 instead. Much better guitar and he won't outgrow it like the Strat. 8)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I'm sorry to be so frustrated...people are ordering a second '51, and I can't even afford a first...not your problem, not your fault, I'm happy for you all, really, just not with my own situation...I'll have motivation for that song now...carry on, folks. :)

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I like my Sunburst much better than my blonde. When I bought my SX strat a few months back I labored over decision of color, it came down to candy apple red or Sunburst. After I got the red SX I liked it but wished that I had got the Burst. Now I am glad that I got the red SX. If I had gotten the Sunburst SX I probably would have never bought the 51 Sunburst. It's my favorite guitar now.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Ok Iv'e succumb.... I just ordered one, a black one $279.00 Australian dollars...

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes ( 2 )
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin ( 2 )
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy
Vink
Gnease
Izabella
ColoradoFenderBender
Shrim
Teleplayer324
jwmartin
Madmodder
Robbie
fahq
1armbandit
Duffmaster
JBeery ( 2 )
Vanzant38 ( 2 )
Kblake

You go girlfriend! More names added!! Who else owns 2? You guys are crazy... two of the same guitar!!! I hope you are modifying at least one of them!

My mods have changed a little. Since I couldn't easily slip in the Duncan JB (string spacing) or the Fender DH-1 (bracket was too big for the route) and since I didn't want to get into re-routing the opening I decided to pick up a GFS zebra PAF alnico bridge pickup. It should fit in nicely... then I started thinking about the bridge that you all mentioned was difficult to string, so I decided to apply the black treatment to the entire guitar... black GFS bridge, zebra humbucker, black single-coil, black Guinness pickguard, Guinness headstock, black string trees, black tuners, and black straplocks. I would have updated the control cover to black, but couldn't easily (read - cheap) find something in black, so I'll keep that chrome and maybe put on black knobs... All the mods will have cost the same as the guitar...

Squier '51 = $99
GFS pickup = $34
USA Fender Alnico 3 single coil = $20
GFS bridge = $12
String trees = $4
Straplocks = free
Tuners = unknown (not bought) = $20 - 35
Knobs = free

Cost of original guitar was $99, my modifications were $100... so, a hot rodded guitar with coil-split for $199... not too bad, eh? AND, I haven't sold the original components yet. Let's call the guitar $175 out the door...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Well I think 2 is enough. But if overstock.com goes down to 50 bucks on these I will have to change my mind.

I am thinking of putting in a GFS Crunchy paf, black or chrome.
No complaints with the tuners but am thinking about getting Wilkenson Locking from GFS.

Dali Lima,

Does that USA Fender Alnico 3 single coil fit pretty well in the slot or did u have to some cutting. Do the Poles line up with the strings good. I am having a tough time picking a single coil for this thing. The Crunchy Paf is 15.9K, would I need a pretty hot single coil to go with it.

Has anyone put a lipstick in the neck.

Adios.

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

I'm probably going to mod the black one and keep the sunburst original. Not sure yet, though.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Vanzant, I think the single coil will fit fine in the body of the guitar, but the pickguard had to be shaved for it to fit in the guard. I have no idea if the strings will ine up just yet. I would have kept the stock single coil, but wanted to change the cover to black and - of course - no covers fit.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That list needs to be updated. Greg (Gnease) ordered two '51s if I remember properly. :D

indiana_jonesin, I feel for you. You gotta find $99 somewhere. Maybe Santa could help you out.

KBlake, way to go, you have become a member of the cult. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 51