Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.9 K Views
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rocker

You can get 5 very distinct tones out of this guitar.

Bridge- Humbucker
Bridge- Single coil
Combination of Bridge Humbucker with Neck Single Coil
Combination of Bridge Single Coil with Neck Single Coil
Neck- Single coil

The humbucker on the 51 is really quite hot, it has good output. This thing will get great Rock tones. Not quite Metal, but pretty close. I think the tone is outstanding.

The neck pickup has a beautiful chime to it. It is similar to a Strat but not quite. I actually like the tone better than a Strat neck pickup.

It will make a little noise when using the single coils at volume, but no more than other single coils.

Get one. This guitar easily compares with guitars in the $300-500 range quality-wise. It plays easy as butter and gets lots of great tones.

I haven't changed my tuners and my two 51s stay in tune very well. These tuners are better quality than Squier offered in the past. They look and feel much better.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i think i'm going to get one, i'm wanting to get rid of my crate solid state, maybe
gc will do a straight up trade for it 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

okkkkk got my Black 51 yesterday.....
I like it, sounds good through my Marshall MG15dfx especially like the gain channel through the humbucker...
Strings sound a bit "tinney" (why do manufactures always put crap strings on new guitars?, personal preference I suppose)

All the screws and nuts were tight no sharp fret edges either. Will get a proper set up on it get some good strings on it too.
Tuned it up yesterday arvo, gave the strings a good stretching' and it was pretty much still in tune this morning :D

At this stage I still prefer my Mexican Strat but then again it was twice the price too lol

short story....

The shop rang me yesterday morning at 10am and I was there to pick it up within 15 minutes.. they guy at the shop laughed and said it was the quickest pick up ever....lol

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Strings sound a bit "tinney" (why do manufactures always put crap strings on new guitars?, personal preference I suppose)

Well, this guitar is a cross between a Strat and a Tele, so it is going to get a Fender "bluesy" tone. You are not going to get Les Paul deep rich tones with this guitar. But you do get a thicker, darker tone with the humbucker.

New strings and especially heavier gauge strings will get you a thicker tone with this guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

why do manufactures always put crap strings on new guitars?

By far the most money to be made is from beginners getting their guitar, so you put light strings on them. Who cares if it's a '51, SRV re-issue customshop strat or hollowbody, just throw .009s on all of 'em. I've even once spotten an Ibanez full hollow-body where the factory-standard 009.s were replaced with what appeared to be 0.008. People who do that are just plain messed up in their head. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Custom built 51.

Fender® Masterbuilt
"Custom '51" by John Cruz

http://www.themusiczoo.com/FenderMasterbuilt_JohnCruz_Custom51_VintageBlonde_JC577.html

Priced Just Right!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

It arrived today. I was so excited I unpacked it at work, which where I had it sent. First, Musician's Friend did a great job. I ordered late Monday night, they shipped on Tuesday and it arrived today. It was well packed and the box is in perfect condition.

My first impression of this guitar is similar to what others have posted. I cannot believe it is a $99 guitar. The finish (burst) is perfect - not a single flaw. I love the way this guitar looks. The neck is straight and the action is low right out of the box. I honestly don't think I will have to touch the setup. I'm about to put a set of GHS Boomers on (.10s) and I'll probably tighten most of the screws, but that is really it. I did plug in and play a bit and it sounds good, but until I change the strings and figure out how to use the pickup selector w/coil tap (totally new concept to me), I won't really comment on the sound.

Another satisfied '51 owner!

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Omg...so guitar center calls me and tells me that my sunburst is discontinued (blonde was already discontinued). I don't want a black one, so I go to musician's friend and order it. Wish me luck folks. :?

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

good luck eirrica, i'm going to gc tomarrow, to see if i can hook up a deal on one by trading a crate amp that i have no need for, for one 8)

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Errica,

MF is a great company, you wont need any luck. But I wish you luck anyway.

Best of Luck!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Omg...so guitar center calls me and tells me that my sunburst is discontinued (blonde was already discontinued). I don't want a black one, so I go to musician's friend and order it. Wish me luck folks. :?

Hey Eirraca, If no luck at MF try American Musical Suppy. "AMS"

http://www.americanmusical.com/

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Thanks all :) I got my order confirmation so hopefully that means I won't get an email saying "sorry..." Seriously folks, if you're going to get one, do it now! :!:

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i just got back from guitar center just a little while ago, and the 51's are discontinued,
so i gues i'm not getting one :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

i just got back from guitar center just a little while ago, and the 51's are discontinued,
so i gues i'm not getting one :evil:
Order one off of MF.com then.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i thought that dicontinued meant they don't make them anymore ?

ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 51