0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Sweet! Thanks Donkee and Lefty! <3

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

I managed to find one of these in Australia, US$215 though. Might get something I really want instead!

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Question - if this guitar's so wonderful, and OK at $99 it's a hell of a guitar for the price........

Why are so many of you replacing pick-ups and generally messing around with the sound? If you didn't like the Squier '51 sound when you bought it, why not just send it back? I can understand it that so many people are doing cosmetic work on it - in my opinion, it's an UGLY guitar....Strat body, that horribly shaped pick-guard and Tele head-stock just look like a Frankenstein's monster of a guitar to me....if Fred Flintstone played a guitar, that's what I'd expect to see him holding....

I must be missing something here, but when I get a new guitar I try it out first....I spent hours checking out Fender Tele's before I settled for a nice Squier Tele....I liked the sound, feel and playability better....

So is there no such thing as the perfect guitar? What you're all trying to do is get the sound you want from a cheap guitar, by replacing the p/u's, re-wiring the electronics, etc? If this is the case, why are some people leaving them exactly as they are?

I'm confused.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Question - if this guitar's so wonderful, and OK at $99 it's a hell of a guitar for the price........

Why are so many of you replacing pick-ups and generally messing around with the sound? If you didn't like the Squier '51 sound when you bought it, why not just send it back? I can understand it that so many people are doing cosmetic work on it - in my opinion, it's an UGLY guitar....Strat body, that horribly shaped pick-guard and Tele head-stock just look like a Frankenstein's monster of a guitar to me....if Fred Flintstone played a guitar, that's what I'd expect to see him holding....

I must be missing something here, but when I get a new guitar I try it out first....I spent hours checking out Fender Tele's before I settled for a nice Squier Tele....I liked the sound, feel and playability better....

So is there no such thing as the perfect guitar? What you're all trying to do is get the sound you want from a cheap guitar, by replacing the p/u's, re-wiring the electronics, etc? If this is the case, why are some people leaving them exactly as they are?

I'm confused.....

:D :D :D

Vic

Several of us (Wes, myself and ...) have noted the stock pups do the job quite well and sound pretty darn good. However, at this price point there's a lot of potential for tinkering as well. I bought three of these, and intend to leave one pretty much stock -- maybe I'll change the pickguard. But do I need two more '51s exactly the same? Nope. And a $99 a shot, this becomes a cheap way to experiment with a very competent neck and body. I've got a drawer full of pups: P90s, deArmonds, G&L MFD singles and even an Ibanez Flying Finger 'bucker just dying to get a shot in a guitar. So now I've got a good "substrate" upon which to try them out.

Now what about those guys changing out pups in their only '51 or more expensive Strat or ESP or ...? I'm sure every one of those guitars sounds pretty decent in stock configuration. But their owners are pulling out the tools and going at those axes anyway. Conclusion: It's more about the owners that the guitars.

As for looks: As I recall you like Freebird and I hate it. So similarly, it's a mere issue of taste and aesthetic sense. And some of us even think it's got a funky little vibe of its own -- I guess even Frankenstein could be said to have a look and vibe of his own. :wink:

We do agree on the pickguard. Easily changed with a saw, file and sandpaper or replaced for < $20 US, if one look in the right places for material.

:idea:

[Or maybe Vic, this time you aren't confused, but have realized there indeed is a nefarious plan afoot. The '51 is actually an absolute steaming pile of crap, and the only way those of us who have been suckered can relieve our feelings of stupidity and inadequacy is by subjecting others to the same humiliation. No one will admit it, but we hate these guitars. And the only thing that has become worse is our self-loathing for being so naive as to buy them. Fool me once: Shame on you. Fool me twice: Shame on me. What can I say about being fooled three times? I know: "Hey Vic, you gotta buy one these!"]

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

My pickguard protective coating has already ripped. Any advice on what to do? >_> I don't want to pay $60 for a new one.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My pickguard protective coating has already ripped. Any advice on what to do? >_> I don't want to pay $60 for a new one.
Kevin, I wonder if you're referring to the thin clear film that is over a pickguard (and pick-ups, too) when a guitar is shipped? If so, that's meant to be removed. It's just to protect it from scratches while it is being tried out prior to purchase. Take it the rest of the way off and break that baby in! 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I like tinkering with my guitars. Its almost as fun as playing them. And tinkering with a $100 Squier is cheaper and less stressful than tinkering with a $1000 USA Strat.

Kevin,

Margaret is right about the pickguard, don't worry about it. I took the plastic cover off of the PG of my SX Strat and surprise surprise, there was another one under it. Has any one ran seen this before.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Kevin, I wonder if you're referring to the thin clear film that is over a pickguard (and pick-ups, too) when a guitar is shipped? If so, that's meant to be removed. It's just to protect it from scratches while it is being tried out prior to purchase. Take it the rest of the way off and break that baby in! 8)

Margaret
lol WOOOOOW. I was wondering why it came off so easy. Thank you so much, lol.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I like tinkering with my guitars. Its almost as fun as playing them. And tinkering with a $100 Squier is cheaper and less stressful than tinkering with a $1000 USA Strat.
Mostly the reason for me to buy the Squire too .. I figured I can mess around with it, learn how to do a setup etc ..and it is a real nice sounding guitar to begin with. I like the stock pickups; I don't like the bridge too much, but probably some clear nail polish will fix the screws shaking loose problem..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

:?: :?: :?:

Anyone know what type of paint is used on these? A poly - lacquer, maybe? I'm going to attempt a fill and repair job on the pickguard holes. The black looks so much better w/o that 'guard.

A note on the tuners. Upon removing the strings, I found every one of the tuners was only finger tightened. As there are no rear positioning screws to hold them firmly in place -- only two small studs, it seem as if more attention should be paid to tightening the shaft nut. Owners might want to check theirs out.

I think that neck pup is going to be a P90 ...

-=Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jbeery)

Greg you may find that a five dollar can of black krylon will work wonders on that pickgard I know it did for mine. Holds up pretty darn well to boot.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Greg you may find that a five dollar can of black krylon will work wonders on that pickgard I know it did for mine. Holds up pretty darn well to boot.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind, as I have three of the '51s. For this one, I've got some really nice MOTS pickguard material to cut into a smaller, more tasteful replacement. And even if I keep the original -- as I'm likely to do on each of my other two '51s, I would cut it down and will need to repair the remaining exposed holes.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

vink,

If the bridge bothers you, there is always guitarfetish.com. They have a nice replacement bridge. Here is a link to a thread within the 51ModdersForum that has a FREE mod that may help your bridge. I haven't tried it but it looks promising.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=747

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I contacted guitar fetish about some control plates and whatnot for the 51 - got a reply saying they will have them mid-Feb. I'm thinking of totally replacing the "silver" hardware with gold/brass.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think this is a Poly finish. Appears to be... I agree on the pickguard. I hate it. Covers half the guitar! At least the Tele Custom's pickguard served a purpose (swicthes and knobs were attached and there was top routing) - this pickguard is only there to make it look l like an old bass.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 36 / 51