Clear all

SRV

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I now have a fender standard mexican strat with semour duncan single coil pickups. I just recently got a fender hotrod deluxe, and i have been saving up for new guitar. I wasn't exactly sure what i wanted but the thought of an SRV strat went throught my mind. Recently our school had a community day battle of teh bands and a kid was playin in a band and he had anb SRV playing fool in the rain and he ripped out the first half of the solo behind his head by the way, anyway he playd again as field day as afterward entertainment, and after i asked him if he liked it and he told me yea, but he was gonna sell it cause he wants like a 2,000 dollar PRS and he told me he was also selling his tele. He told me that his SRV was less than a year old and it is kept in good cond. and that he would sell it to me probably between $750 and $800, i figured this was a good deal, but wanted to see what yall think!!

MY GUITAR STUFF
a Fender Mexican strat w/ two single coil Semour Duncan pickups i have a fender hot rod deluxe all tube 40 W Effects: Zoom w/pedal, V-amp, Turbo Rat, Rocktron Banshee (talbox)(i mic it and the mic comes out of a gx-15 crate amp)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Could be a good deal, but have you played a SRV strat? You might not like it, as (I'm sure you know) it's a bit different from the standard and usually set up quite differently as well. If you are buying it as a player, make sure it plays for you. If you are collecting, different story.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks

MY GUITAR STUFF
a Fender Mexican strat w/ two single coil Semour Duncan pickups i have a fender hot rod deluxe all tube 40 W Effects: Zoom w/pedal, V-amp, Turbo Rat, Rocktron Banshee (talbox)(i mic it and the mic comes out of a gx-15 crate amp)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I dont really know about the SRV sig. strat, but I can tell you a couple things that SRV used and that might be on it. First and probably most important of all, he had humongus strings on it. Rumor has it that he used up to .18 guage strings but his guitar tech had to lower it to keep him from tearing up his fingers. He usually used around .13's. Second of all, its sorta a frankenstrat. It has been confirmed by fender employees that it's a 1962 "oval" neck with Dunlop 6100 bass-style frets (huge frets) on a 1963 body with a reverse tremelo. The pickups are actually stock exept for sheilding. Just try it out and see if you like it. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

While I love SRV as much as anyone, and I love strats . .. if you've already got 2 fenders, why not take a look at something else? A Dean, A Gibson, A Gretsch ... there are a lot of diffent guitars out there.

Just a thought.

Of course, maybe you're only sharing 2 of 10 or 15 guitars you have, in which case, ignore this post entirely.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW talking about Gretch's I was really impressed by their semihollow for $500. check it out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511587/ 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I think the big difference is that it's been rerouted for a lefty vibrato. From what I understand he had that done to it so he could use the trem with his right elbow. Apparently Hendrix did the same with his flipped over right-handed Strats...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Metaellihead, some say that whoever replaced it drilled it wrong, others say it was to mimic Hendrix, and Otis Rush. I don't know which is righ. Another huge factor in his tone was his multi amped setup. A few of his amps were a '59 Fender Bassman, two Marshall Major 200 watt heads, a 100 watt Marshall JCM halfstack, a '62 Fender Twin, two '64 Fender Vibroverbs (Stevie was proud that the serial numbers were so low, at 5 and 6 respectfully), and especially rare 150 watt Howard Dumble Steel String Singer head with matching 4x12 cab. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I dont really know about the SRV sig. strat, but I can tell you a couple things that SRV used and that might be on it. First and probably most important of all, he had humongus strings on it. Rumor has it that he used up to .18 guage strings but his guitar tech had to lower it to keep him from tearing up his fingers. He usually used around .13's. Second of all, its sorta a frankenstrat. It has been confirmed by fender employees that it's a 1962 "oval" neck with Dunlop 6100 bass-style frets (huge frets) on a 1963 body with a reverse tremelo. The pickups are actually stock exept for sheilding. Just try it out and see if you like it. 8)

Oops... the oval neck is actually an odd "D" shaped neck.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey i talked to a local guitarist online, and he has helped me with my equipment choices and also effects. I told him what sound i was lookng for and he recommended the PRS SE EG single coil pickups witha hard tail do you know anythinga bout this one?

MY GUITAR STUFF

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

All I know about the SE EG: It's PRS's Korean-made answer to the Strat.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I think the PRS also has a set neck, and only one tone knob. It also has 3 in-line tuners(unlike the strat's 6 in line) and other than that its just a strat copy. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help, after hearing this it seems that the SE EG PRS is just another start copy, but happens to be a good one. PRS does however make very nice guitars, i just don' tknow wut to get i like the tone i get from my strat, I like to play alot of Grateful Dead, Hendrix, and stuff like that, so if you think of anything else that i may like just make a post, thanks a ton

MY GUITAR STUFF

ReplyQuote