Twelve string question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Today a friend offered to switch guitars with me and I took his home for the weekend. He would like to trade for awhile so that his fingers can get calloused again. My 6 string has very low action and I find it quite a bid harder to play the twelve. My first experience on a 12 string. I am enjoying playing it but it is a little frustrating.

I am curious, if anyone had the same experience. I am wondering if Ill quickly get back to scratch as my hands get stronger or if it will take a while due to the differences in the guitars.

I am leaning towards making the trade. I like the sound of the guitar. It is a 20 year old fender and sounds sweet.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Max

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You should play more together....can always switch back and forth for different songs.....

I'm spreading myself between electric, 6- and 12-string acoustics and bass at the moment.....the diiferences in technique between the various guitars mean I have to really concentrate on whatever I'm playing at the time, so my practise is far more focussed than it used to be.....

If you do a swap, and you end up with the 12-string, you can always save up for another 6-string.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

or you could - just transform your 12 to 6 strings and have a lot of space between strings compared regular 6 strings.

itzik

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.

I think I am going to trade him. After a couple hours of practicing I am getting used to the 12, but I know it will take a lot more than that to feel completely comfortable.

I tried to lower the action and I found someone before me must have tried to shave the bride with a dull utility knife. They made it concave which caused it to fracture over the years due to the tension on the strings. I pieced it together and Ill pick up a blank bridge on monday.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote