Skip to content
Stairway To Heaven:...

Notifications
Clear all

Stairway To Heaven: Is it Humanly Possible?

51 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have just begun trying to learn Stairway to Heaven so I can work on my Finger-picking skills. I have been using this site: http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/strwy/index.shtml and I'll tell you the chords are DIFFICULT! I mean my fingers are stretched to the max and I can stretch my fingers fairly well!

I know the author of that lesson frequents this site so maybe he can assistme with this. Or if anyone else is good at this song I will accept ANY help you can give me! I am following the Guitar Pro file provided on the site.

Thanks

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I don't know.........a masterpiece, a long song, the result of an experts hard work........how can we hope to mimick something like that in it's entirety unless we become advanced players first, in which case we wouldn't need to ask about it and would just do it?

I suppose we (I am a beginner) could do it if we devoted everything we had into it and did nothing else but work on it but then in (2 years?) when we were able to play it, it would just be one song and we would be so sick of it, we wouldn't even want to hear it.

Maybe down the road it won't look so difficult. One step at a time.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The beginning fingerpicking stuff is actually kinda easy.

What chords are you playing?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It's funny cuz I have been on several sites where Stairway to Heaven is listed as an "easy" song..

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You'll have to look at the site I posted for the chords..plus they are in the guitar pro file provided

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The site says

| Am - - - | AmM7 - - - | Am7 - - - | D - - - | Fmaj7 - - - | Am - - - |

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

played on the 5th & 7th fret..the guitar pro file gives a better description. I am just too frustrated now to take the time to post the chords (not with this song just in general...sorry)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Sorry for my previous post...I'm just having a bad day..

Here are the chords:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hi Mike,

Have you tried using a partial barre for most of those chords? If you can lay your index finger flat across the top four strings ( D G B e ) at the 5th fret and play the notes cleanly, the rest is mostly toggling your other fingers.

Personally I prefer playing the D/F# as xx4232 using a partial barre at the 2nd fret with my index finger; it's an easier transition into the open Fmaj7 than from the 7th fret as he shows in his version.

Hope that helps a bit.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i hope skastyleex see's your post, he doe"s a really good cover
of stairway, i get so sick of people telling me how sloopy of guitar player jimmy page is, and that he is not in jeff beck and eric clamptons league,
the songs that man has written are incredible, i don"t remember beck and
clampton ever writting songs that are even close to what page has done, just my opion.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

To be honest, there isn't any really hard stretch hear. And unless you have difficulty with barre chords I really don't see any difficult bit. Never played it before (since plenty of others can do it for me ;)) but just tried it. Tab seems spot on (from memory) and can't really think of a way to make it easier.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

To be honest, there isn't any really hard stretch hear. And unless you have difficulty with barre chords I really don't see any difficult bit. Never played it before (since plenty of others can do it for me ;)) but just tried it. Tab seems spot on (from memory) and can't really think of a way to make it easier.

Arjen,

If you actually read the tab there are parts where to barre the 5th fret and put your pinky on the 1st string 8th fret! If you call that EASY then you must have the most flexible hands I have ever heard of!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Its not the barre that's the problem here...I am having a problem with the stretch. I can do partial barres fairly well. But stretching a span of 4 frets is a bit much this early in my guitar "career"!...

Maybe Joseph is right that this is just oo advanced for me..however...you NEVER know unless you try!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here is the tab I have (its not the whole song just the lesson I posted above):

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is not the easiest song in the world for a beginner. It is a stretch to go from an open chord to a barre on the 7th, back to the 5th, then open again not to mention 4 fret stretches.

Mike, after 5 weeks of playing the fact that you feel comfortable trying this is a good indication of the progress you have made so there is no need to frustrate yourself. Just take you time and put it down once in awhile. Believe me, by the time you get this song even close you will have your barre chords squared away also.

Alright off to GC to spend some money

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4