Strat Question

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies guys,

Putting the price issue to one side for a moment I still have no idea what model of strat to go for eg.60's,70's,classic,artist, fat strat,highway one etc etc.

I will be playing it before i buy it but would rather spend my time testing 15 guitars of the same model rather than 15 different models and another 15 of my favourite model out of that 15 if you know what i mean.I guess what I am after is a starting point.
I shall be mostly playing Rock and Blues type stuff.

Cheers

Bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I guess what I am after is a starting point.
I shall be mostly playing Rock and Blues type stuff.
Well, sounds like a Strat would be a reasonable starting point. If you like that sort of thing. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Well,
I would have to say that you should look to the strat of the person whos sound you most want to emulate.

Clapton in Derek & The Dominos = 57 American Vintage strat with ash body and maple fretboard all lacquer finish.

SRV = early 60's strat with alder body and rosewood fretboard. Fender makes Two versions of this - The 62 American Vintage (less expensive), and a 60 strat Time Machine series (about 3 times as expensive as the AV series).

Robin Trower/Ritchie Blackmore/Dave Gilmour = Fender's 70's American Vintage strat. (Which looks to be like a 71 model).
Here though you have to decide between ash/alder and rosewood/maple.

Now I may be alone here - I have very strong opinions on the tone wood combinations and paint type concerning Fender
guitars.
Since they have such a woody sound, these things are very important to me and make a huge difference to my ear.
Sure - all strats sound like strats. It's what nuances you want in that sound though.

And I prefer vintage or RI guitars to newer style stuff any day.
There's a reason that all the greats play OLD guitars.
Even say like Clapton, who uses his signiture model live - does not even consider using anything except real vintage when
it comes to recording.

And whatever model you get, I would make sure it's an American made one.
They are way better - trust me on that.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

perhaps a stateside agent could buy then gift to you. are gifts taxed differently than purchases?

I don't think there's any gift tax at all apart from P+P. I've considered it in the past, but as you could imagine, it's quite a tricky ordeal to carry out between two people who have never even met with or without complications (such as broken during transit or wrong model etc.)

But it's good in theory. Unfortunately flying over would actually pretty much make up the difference if not move into a defecit. However I do know people that genuinely like visiting America and so see it as a bonus to go shopping at the same time. (Unfortunately not to get me a guitar) :(

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Oh and Citizen Noir, I don't quite understand whether you're advocating buying a second hand original made in the 60's/70's etc. or whether you mean people should buy guitars that have been made today but have the year (eg. '62) in their name?

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Clazon, Hi :D

Um, well.... If you can afford a real true actual 56/57 or 60-62 Strat, I would certainly not hesitate to get one.
I'm sure that, like acoustic guitars they would sound better with age.

Unfortunately, most of us don't have what a new car would cost for a 60 strat or what a house would cost for a 50's strat.
(And I personally think those prices are rediculous)

Fender has two very good options out now - The American Vintage series, which is basically a strat made to American
Standard tolerances if you will, and have vintage hardware/pups/paint etc.
They are a little bit more than an American Standard Strat. (About $1500.00 US)

And they have the Time Machine series - Made to EXACT specs as the year they carry in their name. Same materials are used, same wiring, same routing. Pups made exactly as they were for that year.
These come out of Fender's custom shop and are around $3500.00 US.
Not bad really, considering you'd have to spend at least 10 grand to get a real one (on the less expensive models)

As far as 70's strats go - I happen to have a real 71 strat. And there is nothing like it.
The CBS era of Fender, which just a few years ago... Nobody wanted.
Now the prices for CBS era Fenders is pretty high.
Moving so fast in fact, that I can't even keep up with it.
The 71's in good condition I've seen lately have jumped from $5000.00 to $7500.00-$10,000.00.
Unbelieveable.
I saw just this week on ebay the pickgaurd, plastic, and pups for a 71 strat going for $1150.00!!!!

I also have an '88 Strat American Standard.
I've had it since new.
And it's been my daily workhorse for the last 19 years.
A fine instument coveted by many a MIM owner.
If I didn't have a strat and was in the market to buy one, would I buy an American Standard....?
NO.
I would buy something from Fender that was American made and had vintage everything.

Like I said though, I have particular tastes when it comes to guitars - especially Fenders.
And things high on my priority list of must haves are usually not what other people look for.
Most people want a specific pickup or a trem system or a 'custom' color or something like that.
Me - I like stock pups, no trem, and the paint has to be lacquer regardless of color.

I know I'm persnickedy - thought I'd throw in my 1 1/2 cents worth here though since I am a pretty devout Strat guy.
:D :wink:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

NO TREM! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've always thought a tremolo arm is an essential part to the strat sound.

Personally I'd go for an authentic '64 or '67 strat (I think I remember correctly from my research a few months ago). :D Short of that I might start saving up for a Vintage Series one... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

LOL!!!!

I like the trem system, and in no way want a hardtail.
I just set mine flat against the body and take the arm off.

As much as I usually bash Clapton in talking about guitarists,
he has probably had the most influence on my lead style of playing.
He doesn't use a trem on his strats (Brownie & Blackie).
And he touted the proper use of finger vibrato.

And so it was that my quest for finger vibrato began.
It's quite a useful thing to know. And works well for single strings or chords.
As does wiggling the neck (back and forth or up and down).
Or you can reach over with your pick hand and press the strings behind the nut.
I really find OVERUSE with a trem distasteful and pretty easy to do.

Sounds like you like the early 60's strats. (Clazon)
Yeah they're pretty cool.
A sorta dry, glassy tone with a hint of twang.
Sorry, strat tones to me are like a fine wine is to people who are into that. :D

And I apologize for not including Jimi in that list.
To me though he has more of a recognizable style of playing than a signature tone.
Not a bad thing :wink:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2