Clear all

strat

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well i did it...i exchanged my '62 reissue (the 7.25" board radius wasn't doing it for me), for something on the opposite end of the Fender family, a Fender Deluxe Stratocaster....this baby has noiselss pup's, locking tuners and the "hidden" S1 switch...it is 3 tone sunburst and a maple neck (board)...i have always been a rosewood neck guy but this guitar just played and sounded so nice, plus the bright maple neck goes well with these pup's...
I am really impressed with this guitar. it is so much more versatile than the '62 and the neck ("c" neck with med. jumbo frets), is a dream to play...i'd recommend the deluxe strat to anyone if they all are of similar quality to this one...i thought i'd regret returning the '62 r.i. but even with this maple neck (which i am totally unacoustmed to), i love it....the flatter board radius and bigger frets makes such a huge difference and the original strat tone is still brilliant plus i can get a wide range of sounds with this pup congfiuration...
any other deluxe strat owners out there?...please share your thoughts on them ...cheers - Otis

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yep theres a few here, but i think you and i may be the only 50th anni owners. glad you like it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Twisted Lefty - do you play right handed??

Also, I don't have the Deluxe Strat, but a buddy of mine has the Deluxe Strat with the two-tone sunburst. He actually got rid of the S1 switching in favor of a strat-mod switching done by a guy here in Connecticut. He uses the 5-way super switch and a three-position rotary knob (in place of one of the tone) to create a tone of tones - including some decent Tele tones.

BTW - I can't rave enough about maple fretboards on strats. I think that's how they should come... Rosewood or ebony on Gibsons, but maple on Strats. Love the feel.

Congrats on the new guitar.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yes an awesome guitar. Here it is if the pic link works...

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

One more try...

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

pretty guitar josephLefty

the dali lama- yes i do

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I've had mine for @ a year now and I'll never get rid of her. :D

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yep i think i have become a maple convert...this guitar has made me one ...after years of playing and looking at rosewood strats only, (i never thought that one of the unique things about strats is the maple neck option), i have crossed over to the bright side...i'm so happy...having the '62 was nothing but a source of worry for me...i loved the look and idea of the 62 r.i. but this ...wow!@ is alls i can say...suprised i don't come across more articles on the deluxe strats...anyone have any good links (like a guitar player review of them)?...thanks for the replies ...cheers keep on picking your fenders, gibsons or whatevers (but esp. fenders ...hehehe)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am a die hard maple neck on the strat player. nothing like that tone and spank.
I think they are fast too.

nice guitar dude. feel proud.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If yours has gold hardware that is so beautiful.

I love my Deluxe. The Maple fretboard was a huge factor in my decision. It fits me so much better than the Rosewoods....to me anyhow.

Enjoy your Deluxe and your time here on GN.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

(the 7.25" board radius wasn't doing it for me)I don't understand what they were thinking with that short radius fretboard. I don't like 'em, either. What's the radius on your new one, Otis?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the radius on my new one (the deluxe '05 strat) b.t.w. mine has the silver hardware which personally i prefer over gold, actually i like silver over gold pretty much period, but it is a much flatter 9.5" ...that is a 2 and 1/4 inch difference!!!!.;..no other guitar has ever had that kinda board curve (the 7.25" i mean)...gibsons have always been 10"...modern day strats are 9 1/2 "...but to have the vintage 7.5" is extreme, that's not a little difference , that's a really big difference!!!...it was obviously back when folks were so stoked with the amazing new fender guitars that having higher string action didn't bother folks as it was the norm, and the curve made for comfortable chording (open chording), if alls i did was play my electric like an acoustic, it would probably work out, but for barring up high and bending and soloing and low action it is very troublesome...of course i knew nothing about radius' when i bought the '62 r.i., my thoughts upon playing it was..." 'o.k. during the free setup i'll have the action extremely lowered and it'll rock, as it does feel comfy in your hand with that curve"...but also when you think about these guitars have vintage small frets too which just makes this problem of fretting out with low action even more prominent!...
this 9.5 " radius is such a treat with med. jumbo frets...it is like walking out of a dark tunnel...fender has recently done a '62 reissue with a 9.5 board and a reverse wound bridge pickup to reduce hum, but it only comes in a cream colour with gold hardware...no sunbursts which is strange...my guitar looks like a 50's strat at face value but has a c neck instead of v and plays a million times better i.m.o....while still getting those sounds without 60 cycle hum!...

ReplyQuote