Notifications
Clear all

String Changing - How Often?

29 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I change them when they feel nasty and don't bend well anymore.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Ric, what do you thing about mineral oil? Doesn't spoil as far as I know. You've been in the game much longer than me so I'll trust your oil...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mineral oil's fine, if you're very sparing with it. I have a theoretical concern about it deteriorating wood, as I've taken apart many old guns that have been liberally doused with mineral oil over many decades. The wood around the action turns soft and punky, as mineral oil is a (poor) solvent for the lignin that binds the cellulose fiber bundles together in the wood and eventually softens it. Might not ever be an issue in a well cared for guitar, but I think it could. Fatty oils won't attack lignin. Most will eventually gum up, though. Olive oil does that the least of any I know of. Anyway, I've been using it on things like the valve key of my tenor recorder since about 1990, and as a conditioner and moisture repeller on leather nearly that long. I have on a belt right now that I made 6-7 years ago from raw vegetable tanned leather and soaked with olive oil. Just smells like leather. I've used it on guitar strings and fretboards for 7 1/2 years. No problems so far. There are a zillion products sold by guitar and accessory companies "just for guitars." I guarantee every one of them is a common oil mixture of some sort bought "off the shelf" from wholesalers and repackaged for the guitar market. And they'll all work as advertised if used as directed. I've just been satisfied well enough with the olive oil I happened to have around that I've never needed to try anything else.

One possible issue to be aware of if you think you might ever refinish your guitar is to stay away from string and fretboard lubes and polishes that contain silicone. A tiny trace of silicone in wood can cause a nasty condition called "fisheye" when film finishes such as lacquers are applied.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One possible issue to be aware of if you think you might ever refinish your guitar is to stay away from string and fretboard lubes and polishes that contain silicone. A tiny trace of silicone in wood can cause a nasty condition called "fisheye" when film finishes such as lacquers are applied.

We may be speaking of the same thing, but there are some lubricants and polishes that actually suck up moisture from the objects they are applied too. Some commercial tire cleaning and shining products will cause tires to dry-rot quicker.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I just tried putting some olive oil on my strings, and I'm impressed. After the excess came off, they feel really nice and smooth. I can slide my fingers much faster, and my right hand nails seem to have stopped getting caught on some of the strings. I'll definitely keep doing this.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I've just been satisfied well enough with the olive oil I happened to have around that I've never needed to try anything else.

Extra virgin? Spanish, Italian, or Greek? Can you use the cheap stuff you'd fry with or does it have to be the good "salad / bread dipping" quality stuff? :wink:

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I started with extra virgin because that's what I had, but I'd rather use the light stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I change them about once a month.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Sadly, and maybe uninformed, I can't see anything other than Mineral Oil. Nuff said.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's fine. It's worked well for a lot of guitarists.

ReplyQuote
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all of the replies.
I guess the thing I find is I'm afraid I get used to them sounding bad and don't realize how bad they sounded until I put new ones on.
Ricochet, I am going to try your olive oil thing. I have extra virgin so I will use that. Perhaps I can fix a salad and cut some dipping bread to eat while I'm oiling my strings.

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wipe it off well. Don't leave it dripping.

ReplyQuote
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I wiped it off after application, leaving just a thin film. What a difference. It actually helped clean some crud off and made sliding parts play much easier.
I'm going to pass this on to my guitar playing friends.

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's nice stuff.

I'll have to put up a video I shot the other day of Mrs. R polishing up our daughter's baby tortoise with it. She loves it! :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2