Clear all

String comparison resource?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know of a good place to get an idea of the different kinds of strings (for both acoustic and electric), materials, etc.?

In other words, to educate myself on guitar strings without buying and trying a bunch of them?

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i would start by researching the artists that have the tones you like or want to emulate.
a google search will usually give this up if you use a bit of imagination.
also, the string manufacturers sites will often list artists that use their brand.
imo any other method(s), (including users reviews/opinions) are about personal taste, and may not reflect yours.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

TL has the right approach.
What I found was that based on the suggestions and feedback on sites, I purchased strings and found that I did not like them. I bought a set of DL Strings (made one town away from me) and really did not like them at all. Up to that point I thought that I did not have the experience to tell if I liked a set of strings or not. But I knew I did not like them after 10 minutes of playing. Didn't sound right or feel right to me.

Went on to purchase a set of ELIXIR Nano Web strings and loved them! That said, what worked for me was the buy and try method. Granted I went through DL, Martin, D'adds and ELIXIRs to find this out but, to me, it was worth it.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@grwagner)

There's also the cheapskate method - go to a guitar shop and try out guitars. Most of the new guitars have little hang-tags that say "Strings by D'Addario" or whatever, and Fender and Gibson use their own. Slightly less cheapskate - you can often buy single strings so get only one or two strings (plain and wound), and see how they feel to you before going for a full set.

Sometimes you can get lucky. When Elixir launched they gave away packs of E and G strings for free. The E's went out of stock real fast :wink: . These days I mainly put Fender Stainless strings on the Strat and Gibson Vintage strings on the RD Custom, with Elixirs on the homebuilt Tele. Dean Markley was my favourite in the 80's but they've gone down in quality. My son swears by D'Addario on his Ibanez, but is also happy with Fender stainless strings.

If you're into classical, there's a whole section on strings on www.delcamp.net.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

On electrics, I've been using Ernie Ball's for a couple of years. Before that I used GHS Boomers. I also bought a couple of sets off ebay of No-Name 10-46s - BIG mistake, the B string would not let you bend it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I've gone with the "try and buy" and "ask other players what they use, then try and buy" methods. For a while, I was in love with Ernie Ball (the hybrid slinky pack, 0.09s), but wanted to put heavier strings on one guitar to tune down. The store was out of Ernie Balls in 0.11s, so I tried GHS Boomers and love 'em. I'm wanting to pick up a set of Boomers in 0.10s to test, as I still have about 3 sets of the EB hybrids. I have 3 electrics, so I figure why not have 3 different size strings?

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have 3 electrics, so I figure why not have 3 different size strings?
I have 6 different sized strings on each of my guitars. :D :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I have 3 electrics, so I figure why not have 3 different size strings?

I admit, that took me about 15 seconds to get :oops: :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That'll wake up your brain...

:D

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'll probably be ready to experiment after the next batch of string changes. I've been using the D'adds, Gibsons and Fenders lately, although I've become a bit less thrilled with the Fenders for some reason. I tried EBs way back when I first started, but I would not have been able to tell good guitar strings from chicken entrails back then.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote