String problem.

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey

Recently ive been having a problem with strings. I have broken alot of strings, I would of thought I was stringing the guitar wrong, but every single string I have broken always snaps at the part where the string bends over the bridge.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong? I have always followed diagrams on how to string them correctly, so I dont see how I could be doing it wrong. Strings are expensive when you constantly have to buy a new set every 1.5 weeks :?

Any suggestions?

NYN

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Check to see if there are any bur's sticking up on the bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Even if you don't see a burr, you could take a very small steel file and give it a few rubs just in case the burr is really small. Do you palm-mute your strings lots or slap the meaty part of your hand on the strings with your picking hand? I've broken strings doing that so I don't slam the picking hand near the bridge anymore. :roll:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

A burr is definitely you're number one possiblity here. Don't forget to wipe your strings down after playing, the oils in your hands can degenerate the strings fairly quickly.

Also, how much are you playing? Now I go through a set about every 3 weeks, but 6 months ago, I was going through a set every week, and they were definitely getting enough use. I can't remember the figure exactly, but I think strings are only supposed to last around 35-50 hours. If you play for a combined total of 8 hours a day, you could definitiely be needing a new package weekly.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

You might also consider giving the strings a good stretch during the initial tuning process.

By the way, are you using a wang bar?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Actually giving the string a hard stretch would'nt help at all, doing that creates weak spots in the strings, leaving it more susceptable to breaking. Is this on electric or acoustic? If electric, definetly check for a burr.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

You've got to be kidding? You don't stretch new strings when you put them on? I don't bellieve that weakens strings. That's like saying bending a note will hurt your strings! Sorry, but I don't buy it.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

you should always stretch your strings when re stringining, how else you gonna get all the stretch out of them and keep them in pitch?

I don't buy it either. I ALWAYS go this a few times, and haven't had a single breakage !!!

Also, nearly every decent site with a feature on re stringing, always suggests you should do this.

Its got to be a burr surely?

Regards

Matt

ReplyQuote