Stuck in a Rut

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all, hoping to find some guidance

been playing since Feb 04 with my acoustic, recently got an ibanez electric and havent moved anywhere. I feel like im not learning anything new and my playing is stuck in a rut. I do take music theory classes so that side of it is ok

Id like some guidance as to where i should head and some songs i should learn that will help with my playing

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What sort of music would you like to play (either right now, or someday in the future)?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im into classic rock and some new rock such as the chili peppers or the shins...

definately all about hendrix, page, and harrison

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

alright man....everyone goes thru these ruts where they dont think there improving....the only way to get out of them i find is by just learning as many songs as u can each song teaches u different techniques and things u can use to impravise and rite ur own stuff....for me whenever i got in a rut i would just learn 5 new songs....if u dont have alot of access to tabs or to illegal songs that fine.....then buy cds do watever u can so ur constatnyl learnign....i forget alot of songs that i once new but thats ok i still rememebr the little things from them that i can take and learn from and use in my playing

moral= learn lotsa songs when ur stuck :)

hope this will help ui

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think it helps to try other types of music sometimes. Get a beginners Jazz Guitar book and practice the examples. When you hear those cool chords, guitar will become exciting all over again.

Or if possible, try to play with others, even form a band. One of the best ways to get good quick is join a band. You are forced to learn songs from beginning to end, keep good time, and play with others. Plus, you have so much fun you don't even realize how much you are learning.

Everybody goes through ruts at times. It is perfectly normal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Go back to your old books / sheet music / tab of stuff you used to want to play but couldn't, and re visit it. You might surprise yourself.

I do this regularly . There is ALWAYS one thing that last month i couldn't play, and this month i can.

But the other posts are quite right, this is normal. It won't last. So get playing!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yup yup, my cure for the rut is definitely a good jam session with a fellow guitarist. Everyone is different, and they are almost always working on totally different songs, techniques, even styles. Trying to learn and absorb that definitely resurrects my desire to develop.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

West Inman I think it helps to try other types of music sometimes.

i agree but one thing that would really help ur playing...along these lines...a little bit of classical...some ofthe greatest rock guitarists were trained classically which is y they are so good...u dont have to go crazy learning classical but....a little will always help...heres a challenging one to get u started if u want:

se ela perguntar by dilermando Ries.....now theres a crazy classical song

try this out hope u will

$MAX$

ReplyQuote