Studying your influences

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi all,

I've been listening to alot of led zeppelin lately, and as always I find myself thinking 'man, I wish I could play like Jimmy Page' :-)
anyway, that got me to thinking, how exactly would i achieve that?
alot of people list page as an influence on their playing but how do you actually go about studying his style ? or for that matter any other guitarist ?

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some of it is conscious, some not and some accidental. I like Jeff Beck, but for a long time couldn't sound anything like him. After becoming somewhat better at mimicing what I hear stylistically (not note-for-note), and also starting to be able to play what I "hear" in my head, I realized that my playing just sort of drifted in that direction. But that's my MO. I'm sure others will tell you to learn some of your idol's signature riffs, progressions, intervals (we all have them, even the gods) and get these committed to your muscle memory. Once you've done this, those musical bits and pieces become elements of your musical tool kit. After a while, you will be able to synthesize well constructed lines and solos using these parts. And, of course, listening is key ... to what you want to know, and to yourself as you actually play. The second is tougher than most suspect.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

No easy fix for this one, but the easiest way....which still involves a lot of hard work!!!...is to dig out a bunch of tabs, or fork out for a book of sheet music, then play along with the CD....

I remember seeing, a few years ago, a Led Zep song book in the Library, had sheet music, tabs for EVERY guitar part, and even told you what guitars, amps and settings JP used to record the song in the studio...perhaps someone else might know what this book is, I've searched for it again recently, but without success....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There's a lot of mileage in studying the work of someone you list as an influence, not least because it teaches you so much about your own playing or what you could use in your own playing.

Actually sitting down with the Tab/ Sheet music and the CD, a scribbling pad, pencil and rubber, and lots of beer, and working out and writing down what you think's going on, and then trying to replicate bits of it with your own setup, can only bring good results. IMHO - going to the extent of buying "that" guitar and "that" amp, stomp box and so on is overkill; it won't make you sound like your hero.

There's not a lot of difference amongst players in the classical guitar airspace, but I've tried to emulate Alex Lifeson and Brian May's styles on my electric on any number of occasions.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just lay down next to your stereo, guitar in hand. when he plays a riff, you play the riff. if you can't play it, play something else, then play the next riff.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I think a lot of it is going to be learning the riffs that Page created, and their are a bunch of those, and the riffs that he used a lot. It's not going to be easy trying to sound just like page though, that will take a lot of work. If it was a more basic guitarist, it might be easier, but with Page, it'll be tough.

If you learn a lot of Zeppelin songs, and the solos, you'll be well on your way.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

well said taso, well said 8)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I read an interview with Henry Garza and he said, he stuided alot of SRV and BB King when he was learning how to play. As he got more skilled, he began to play more solos, and with that, to help be like hsi influences, he would incorporate some of their likcs into his own playing, and build upon that.

That sounds like a good method to me.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I find if I dress in a school boy outfit and bang my head I play more like Angus.

Ok, not really. I only end up with a rash and a headache.

:D

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The guys I look up to these days are Wes Montgommery and Joe Pass. I spend a lot of time listening to them, and then trying to play my own arrangements with their feel. It's a concious choice to try and emmulate, but not immitate, their style.

For example, if I'm playing a song that has a quick melodic run and the harmony isn't very important, I'll do it with a swing feel using octaves ala Wes. If there's section where the harmony is the key element, I'll toss in some Joe Pass influenced arpeggio patterns.

In the end, I sound like me, but if you listen long enough you can figure out who it is that I listen too.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Unless you're playing in a cover band, I wouldn't copy everything that one artist does: I personally have alot of influences, some of the biggest being John Frusciante from the red hot chili peppers, Jimmy Page, both Kirk and James from Metallica, SRV, Zack Wylde and Randy Rhodes... I'm always listening to new stuff though, lately I've been really getting into stuff like the White Stripes and Queens of the stone age. I personally think that your influences help to form your style, and finding your own style takes years in my opinion.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote