Clear all

sweet child of mine

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Woooohoooo, I can finally play the intro, well, alot slower than the original, but i just realised that it's just a pentatonic scale pattern. took me about a month of staring at it, then it just hit me.

anyway, just got excited

cheers
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yeah, it's based on the D chord too (I think)...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yeah, very cool riff. Took me a while to get all 4 patterns down for it, but it does really impress the ladies! :D

The good news is that other than that intro part that repeats a couple times, the song is an absolute cinch, a 3 chord wonder.

Only the solo is hard after that, but it's a doozy!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Slash originally was just foolin' around with what he called a 'carnival' sound when he came up with that.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, really cool riff. Congrats :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

In my last band, we played this song, which leads me to one question. The lead guitarist used to play this riff and it sounded nothing like the recorded version, mostly because of the distortion levels (he said he sounded bad with the distortion turned down 8) ). I'm just curious, does anyone know what Slash used to play that? It sounds like he's using a nice amount of overdrive (somewhere in between a natural overdrive and heavy distortion), and maybe a crybaby wah as a filter (but i could be wrong).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Medium distortion on a modified Marshall Super Tremolo using a custom Les Paul replica on the neck pickup.

Lots of folks will tell you it was done on a Silver Jubilee, but recording for "Appetite" ended in December of 1986, and the Jubilees weren't produced until 1987. 8)

Buckethead reproduced the tone virtually perfectly during a much later performance with Axl using a similar set up.

So now you know.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Wasn't Slash downtuned by one semitone? The Tab in Guitar Techniques a few years back says to play it that way.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Cool, thanks. Congrats on learning the riff, by the way, I like the chorus riff too because it's different but sort of based on the same pattern (it actually reminds me of what he plays in the chorus of VR's Fall to Pieces)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Wasn't Slash downtuned by one semitone? The Tab in Guitar Techniques a few years back says to play it that way.
Yessir. Slash is always tuned down one semitone, or a half step for us Yanks.

ReplyQuote
(@mhill54)
Eminent Member

hehe this is the first song im learning in my guitar lessons. I havent gotten to the intro yet just the verse and chorus. And yeah its tuned down one step. My teacher was kinda iffy about making me tune down on the first song but it all worked out.

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

Well, since the intro doesn't use any open strings, you could always just play a fret lower than written :) The intonation sounds a bit "off" though and it somewhat cancels some of the rest of the song where it does use open strings.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Very cool song. As for getting that sound, You can get it pretty easily on a small tube amp, such as a Peavey C30 or Fender HRD with the overdrive cranked up a good bit.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@todds)
Eminent Member

I've never understood the purpose of tuning down half a step. If you're tuning all the strings down, the intervals will remain the same, right? So what's the point? Seems like I see it mostly in hard rock tabs. Just about every KISS tab I've seen is tuned down half a step too.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've never understood the purpose of tuning down half a step. If you're tuning all the strings down, the intervals will remain the same, right? So what's the point? Seems like I see it mostly in hard rock tabs. Just about every KISS tab I've seen is tuned down half a step too.

It allows the singer to sing a half step lower in key, so if they have trouble reaching high notes in E, they can try Eb... to me, it seems like not that big of a difference but i've heard that people find singing in Eb or Ab is easier then E or A.

Also, lowered tuning does give a bit of a darker and heavier sound (just listen to Metallica's Sad but true), and it makes bending strings a bit easier.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2