19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@todds)
Eminent Member

Makes sense. Thanks, Steve-O.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've never understood the purpose of tuning down half a step. If you're tuning all the strings down, the intervals will remain the same, right? So what's the point? Seems like I see it mostly in hard rock tabs. Just about every KISS tab I've seen is tuned down half a step too.

I always figured it was cos the singer couldn't sing in tune, but I could be wrong.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I always figured it was cos the singer couldn't sing in tune, but I could be wrong.
Well sure, but if you wanted to play it in the recorded key you could just _play_ it half a step lower... Not too much in the way of open strings here (especially in the intro, where it would be noticible).

Since I don't typically like to drop a half step just for a little dinkin', I tend to just play it tuned to standard and drop everything one fret.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

There was a very popular rumour that tuning down half a step increased sustain, but I suspect this rumour was perpetrated by those who know what a pile of arse that theory is.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2