Clear all

Buying Strings Online

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering where people bought their strings online, if anywhere?

Thanks!

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Well, i'd think musicians friend would be the best place to buy them. However, you'd get killed with shipping if you bought ONLY strings, so I usually wait until I have something else to buy from MF, and order them together.

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Check out this source for strings:

http://www.stringthis.com/index.html

Very good prices if you want to buy bulk :!:

BS :D

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

I have a friend who always buys from http://www.juststrings.com/
Plays classical, but is always happy with his orders.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well, i'd think musicians friend would be the best place to buy them. However, you'd get killed with shipping if you bought ONLY strings, so I usually wait until I have something else to buy from MF, and order them together.

I thought that at first, but it's not worth it. Buy from one of the stores listed above or here: http://www.geartree.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/29865

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips. Geartree looks nice - free shipping on almost everything I wanted to buy. I ended up buying from Music123, since they had some Dean Markley strings on closeout, and ground shipping was just $4.

I'll let people know if it turned out to be a good idea or not.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've never even thought about buying strings on-line....although there's no guitar shop in the town where I live, the nearest big town (St. Helens) is five miles away(20 mins by bus), or I go to Liverpool (30 mins by train) for a day out, a few beers in the Cavern Pub, a good gawp at all the Rock memorabilia etc...funny how often I need new strings these days!!!!

Sems to me, though, if you're going to buy strings online, you're going to have to know exactly when you want to change them, take into account how long your order's going to take to be delivered etc....seems a lot of hassle to me!!!

:wink: :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

Sems to me, though, if you're going to buy strings online, you're going to have to know exactly when you want to change them, take into account how long your order's going to take to be delivered etc....seems a lot of hassle to me!!!

:wink: :D :D

Vic

Actually, I do the same thing when I buy strings at the store. I tend to purchase 2 or three sets so I always have an extra set even after I replace the ones I need. Just a matter of planning ahead. One or two pairs of strings aren't going to sit around the house and get any older than they would at the store so I don't see any real problems with it. Plus sometime you same a buck or so by buying more than one set.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

cmoewes, I do exactly the same - the D'Addarios I use have been on offer for the last few months for a three-pack, and I have 6 guitars that I use D'Addario 9's on....so yeah, I need to keep a healthy stock of spares!!!

(Although I'm going to set up an electric for slide, use heavier strings...and may do the same with an acoustic....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

With the price of gas going up without any ceiling in sight, and the ever regressive sales tax in my county (8.75%) I might have to look into buying strings online too. Even though I have 3 independant shops (that I know of) a GC and a Sam Ashe all within reasonable driving distance.

Got my brands narrowed down to just a couple so when I can find a discount on some bulk w/o having to pay shipping I don't see why not.

Will have to start a database on all the sites, prices and dollar value before the free shipping kicks in to see who offers the best value.

But it will take away from the experience of buying strings as Vic pointed out. You don't get to play with all the toys by shopping on the web. :lol:

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I buy strings by the case. They last forever, and I buy a new case when I get down to 3 or 4 extra sets. Ground shipping is cheap and buying in close to bulk gets me decent prices. Sure I lay out a lot each purchase, but it's a once a year or less thing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I buy by the dozen pack. In Germany, you'll rarely get a set of brand name strings for less than €7 in a shop. I buy from a guitar shop that I know via ebay. I pay, including postage, around half that (ca. €42 for the 12-pack). The shop won't even sell them them to you at that price other than by ebay. I've bought both GHS Boomers and Martin Bronze acoustics.

When they have them, D'Adarrios come out almost €1 more than that per set.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I get my classical strings online because my local shop doesn't stock them and last time I went to Chappell's of Bond Street they'd stopped doing them too. So I use stringbusters.com. I pay around half the shop price for Hannabach (the shop price being £13 a set). Stringbusters.com do them at £7 plus p&p and they turn up a couple of days later.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote