Clear all

TAB/Chord Sheet Sites?

34 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The ever changing world of TAB sites. I was using Vic's suggestion for the longest time. Seems like a large percentage of links not work. 911 gives big result set back, but it seems like they're all regurgitated from somebody's submission back in '97 to who knows where. You can get GP and PT files through it though. Very handy.

What are you good folks using these days?

And yes, I know. "Sus it out yourself". :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I don't use tab sites much cuz I haven't found one yet that was totally correct but if I'm in between songs with my teacher I will sometimes go and pull a tab to get started, problem is when I end up working it out with him it always (and I do mean always) ends up being different so I need to relearn something, but when I do I go to Ultimate-guitar.com

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I use Ultimate Guitar almost exclusively. It seems that is the easiest to work with, and has some pretty decent sheets. Others have pop-ups and all kinds of crap. PT is pretty good. I've downloaded, listened to, and by Jove, it sounds like the song! :lol:

The big problem I have with tabs and chord sheets is that someone will post a tab or chord sheet that is just a fraction of the song, and write "I didn't have time to do the whole thing" or something like that. Well, why did you even bother?

And some tabs and chord sheets are just plain wrong. Even I can tell that.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Minotaur even the ones that look right are usually wrong too and that's the problem with the tabs. Plus there seems to be a predominant use of power chords in many of the songs when in reality most aren't being played with powerchords, but maybe that's being nit picky.

But I'm very spoiled now (I wrote this in your other post about losing interest). The teacher I have been with for the past two years has pretty close to the best ear I have come across and he can tab a song out easily on the spot that always sounds right. The nice thing is that he writes it out in a kind of std notation-tab format so that I get the note duration and rests etc. So you can play what he writes without having to listen to the song..of course I do but a real player could play it as is. Everytime I think I found a tab on the internet and then have him tab it out they are never the same....now sure some or most of it might be the same but I have yet to fond one from the interent that he tabs out exactly the same.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

if it is a very well known song i always go to you tube and type in
"song name" lesson,
or how to play "song name",

I very rarely get let down (although i was looking for a lesson on ocean colour scenes riverboat song the other day and could find one - anybody?? :D )

other than that i just tend to type "song name" and TAB into google, rather than search lots of tab sites, this gets loads of options.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Well Minotaur even the ones that look right are usually wrong too and that's the problem with the tabs. Plus there seems to be a predominant use of power chords in many of the songs when in reality most aren't being played with powerchords, but maybe that's being nit picky.

No, not nit-picky. I agree with you. Even at this stage in my learning, I can recognize something that's garbage. I've taken some of those garbage tabs and chords and actually fixed them to what I thought they should be. And pay sites like musicnotes.com are not much better. I've previewed some pieces in Sibelius Scorch and said "I'm NOT paying $4.95 or $6.95 for that garbage. That is not how the song goes".

I have nothing against power chords in principle, but that's not the stuff I want to play. Even when I use my electric I play it clean. I guess everyone wants to be the next rock god. :roll:

The best thing to do with tabs and chord sheets is to use them as a base and try to sus them out for how the song should be. And then of course there is always Youtube. So far almost everything I've wanted to work on has had a cover or a lesson I could watch, listen and learn from. Of course, some of them suck too!

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I beleive the majority of tabs are put out on the internet by teenagers and most are wrong. I think that's why you see alot of songs tabbed out using powerchords and many are so far off it's unbeleivable that someone actually thought that was a correct tab.

This is where my skills start to break down, OK well I don't actuially have any of these skills but that is the ability to tab a song out for myself. The problem is that if I tabbed a song out by myself it would probably be worse than the ones that are posted on the net and I really don't want to waste my time tabbing out something that is ultimately wrong.

But like anything else I'll never get good at it unless I try.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, there's usually some sorting out to do when you find one. Minimum of formatting to do, and often missing outro, intro, instrumentals, etc, and that's on the good ones. I take the sheet and play it. If it's close, I keep it and then format it, listen to the song, fill in the blanks, fix errors, etc. I wish they didn't copy the songs from one site to all of them. Somebody creates a bad file and that's all you find on every site. The same copy.

I do use the Ultimate Guitars site often. Normally through the tabs911 site. I think they might be one in the same. They have the same skin. There are a couple of sites I've come across that don't copy all the other sites. Small time operations. Her's one from a college kid that his/her Mom created all the songs. http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/~aparsons/guitar/guitar2.html Not all inclusive of course, but different at least. I wish there were more out there like this.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you have GuitarPro (if you haven't, you should!) go to http://www.gprotab.net/ . This is the successor to Mysongbook.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you have GuitarPro (if you haven't, you should!) go to http://www.gprotab.net/ . This is the successor to Mysongbook.

Thanks, GreyBeard. Already do have it and Power Tab too. Very nice tools. The most recent version of GP isn't making my system crash anymore. 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 etm
(@etm)
Estimable Member

Im a GP user... very practical for me... not only for tab.. but also in music scoring

http://www.soundclick.com/etmphils
http://www.youtube.com/edwinmendiola78
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ETM/69309099145?ref=search

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

There's always Sheet Music Direct -- the Hal Leonard online shop-- and Musicnotes.com. Both offer reasonably priced and pretty accurate tabs from sheet music publishers. Most tab at Sheet Music Direct is US $0.99 per song.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I always used to use Guitarnotes - but lately, seems like a lot of tabs are missing. Ultimateguitar, 911tabs and tabcrawler seem to be about the best lately - if I'm searching for a tab these days, the search will usually point me there.

Biggest problem I've found with most tabs is that even when the chords are close, the voicings might be off...here's a case in point. I'm working on "Centerfold" by the J Geils Band at the moment - fairly easy, but the G F and C chords need to be played as barres - or, in my case, as half-barres with my thumb covering the bass note(s.) The G I'm playing as 355433, F as 133211, and C as an open chord - 332010. I know, technically that's a C/G chord - but it just seems to sound better that way. The reason I'm doing it this way is, it's kind of a jerky, stuttery riff with a lot of palm muting - I find it helps to mute the strings by left hand muting as well.

So don't be afraid to try different voicings....if you can, look up the song on youtube, see if you can see what the guitarist's hands are doing, where they are on the fretboard - that'll give you a clue.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that guitar notes site doesn't have a whole lot of working links these days. I just checked out a common song. Dylan's blowing in thre wind. None of the 12 chorpro links worked, and only 2 of the 8 links to regular chord files worked. One of them was Fretplay and the other was ultimate guitar. Fretplay now as an annoying video that comes up and doesn't offer a stop button until it starts playing. :roll:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Roy --

Thanks for posting that site on SETI. I love the way you can can the key so you can play the songs with chorsds that are easier to finger.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3